This raw zucchini salad is a fun and healthy way to enjoy the fresh flavors of summer.
We are in farmers market heaven right now here in West Michigan. Every Saturday I sneak out before my weekly Kickboxing class so that I can beat the crowds and stroll the stands. The farmers pretty much know me as the crazy lady who takes photographs of their fruits and vegetables.
I mean, can you blame me?? These heirloom tomatoes make my heart explode with happiness. I know I’ll be enjoying them like crazy in the weeks to come, perhaps with a little fresh goat cheese.
It’s also blueberry, peach, cherry season and more which means my farmers market budget will be tripled for the next month or so! Fortunately, there is one vegetable that remains affordable and plentiful: the incredible zucchini. At 3 for $1.00, I’ve been buying them by the truck load each week. Not only are they easy on the wallet but they are easy on the waistline and extremely versatile.
My Zucchini Carrot Ribbon Salad with Lemon Basil Vinaigrette is a fresh raw salad that is dressed with a tangy lemon basil vinaigrette. The dijon mustard gives it a little kick in the background that pairs perfectly with the fragrant basil and spicy arugula.
Your fork is waiting.
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium cucumber
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes - halved
- juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil - minced
- 1 teaspoon dijon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In the bottom of a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon basil vinaigrette: lemon juice through pepper.
- Trim both ends of the zucchini and use a vegetable peeler to create long, wide ribbons. I find that it's easiest to place the zucchini flat on a cutting board and peel the vegetable horizontally.
- Repeat the same process with a cucumber and place both the zucchini and cucumber ribbons in the bowl on top of the vinaigrette.
- Add arugula and cherry tomatoes to the bowl and toss well until vegetables are evenly coated with the vinaigrette. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.