This fresh and flavorful Mediterranean chopped salad is made with juicy tomatoes, crunchy cucumbers, and fresh herbs tossed in olive oil, za’atar and lemon. Ideal for serving with chicken, salmon, lamb or wrapped in a pita with hummus.
Did you know that May is national salad month? Since salads are one of my favorite things, I decided to make a Mediterranean Chopped Salad to honor this month! I grew up eating a fresh Syrian salad on the table every night, so I’ll usually include a salad with most meals on my own dinner table. This chopped salad would go great with many Mediterranean dishes, like chicken tawook or beef shawarma. But it’s so simple and quick to throw together, you could include it with any dinner you make!
- SUNSET Wild Wonders tomatoes: A delightful mix of colors, shapes, and flavors! You’ll get a mix of sweet, tart, juicy, and crisp bite sized tomatoes.
- Cucumber: Crunchy and mildly sweet in flavor, they’re also full of vitamins and nutrients.
- Onion: I used a white onion as it’s sweeter and mild in flavor, but if you want something a bit stronger and more colorful, you could use a red onion.
- Parsley: Peppery, earthy, and bright, fresh parsley adds both flavor and more color to the salad.
- Terra Delyssa Olive Oil: I used Terra Delyssa Extra Virgin Olive Oil as its smooth, mild flavor makes a great dressing base, but I love their infused olive oils as well! A garlic or lemon infused olive oil would be delicious on this salad.
- Lemon juice: Paired with the herbs and olive oil, it adds a bright, acidic taste to the dressing.
- Za’atar: A common spice used in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine, it adds levels of flavor to the salad.
- Garlic: Pungent and aromatic, garlic is one of my favorite ingredients and essential in any salad dressing.
How to Make a Mediterranean Chopped Salad
Start your Mediterranean Chopped Salad by washing and chopping all your fresh produce.
Then in a large bowl, add the halved Wild Wonders tomatoes.
Then add the cucumber and parsley.
Followed by the diced onion.
Next add your freshly squeezed lemon juice.
And drizzle in the Terra Delyssa Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Then use a microplane to grate in the garlic clove.
Sprinkle in the za’atar.
And finish it off with a sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste.
Toss well to coat everything in the dressing and evenly mix the veggies, then serve and enjoy your Mediterranean Chopped Salad!
Switch It Up
- Add more vegetables. You could easily add some bell peppers or kalamata olives into the mix and it would taste delicous.
- Like cheese? Feta cheese would be a tasty addition, or some parmesan.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What does a Mediterranean salad contain?
There are different variations, but they usually have cucumber, cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, and onion. Sometimes with lettuce, sometimes without. They can have feta cheese, chickpeas, or olives as well.
Is Greek salad the same as Mediterranean?
Greece is in the Mediterranean, so Greek food is Mediterranean food. But not all Mediterranean food is Greek.
What is chopped salad vs regular salad?
Instead of being layered, chopped salads typically have all of the ingredients relatively the same size and mixed together with the dressing.
More Salad Recipes
- Italian Garden Salad with Fennel
- Middle Eastern Syrian Salad
- Greek Brown Rice Salad
- Smashed Chickpea Salad with Dill
- Lebanese Rice Salad
Eat It, Like It, Share it!
Did you try this recipe and like it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your dish.
Do you love salads as much as I do? Head over to @sunsetgrown and @terradelyssa profiles to enter to win the ultimate salad prize pack! And be sure to let me know how you like my Mediterranean Chopped Salad.
Your fork is waiting.
Mediterranean Chopped Salad
- 1 cup SUNSET Wild Wonders Tomatoes (halved)
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- ½ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup minced parsley
- ¼ cup Terra Delyssa Olive Oil (extra virgin)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon za'atar
- 1 clove garlic (grated )
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the halved SUNSET Wild Wonders Tomatoes, diced cucumber, minced onion and parsley in a medium bowl. Drizzle with Terra Delyssa Olive Oil, lemon juice, za'atar, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss well then check for seasoning. Adjust accordingly.