This easy to make smoothie breakfast trend is ready in minutes and will fuel your day with two powerful superfruits. Very customizable!
One of the many reasons I love to travel is the inspiration I return home with in the kitchen. Inevitably, I always come home inspired and excited to recreate several dishes I enjoyed on my trip.
Case in point: during my recent visit to Miami’s South Beach I feel in love with the fresh and flavorful acai bowls. From the minute I took one bite I knew right away I needed to recreate them at home.
If you’re not familiar with acai, it’s a berry native of Central and South America that is naturally tart. Commonly sold in frozen puree packets, you simply blend it with frozen bananas and your milk (or water) of choice.
Not really one for following recipes, I wanted to make it my own by incorporating what I had on hand and what fruits are in season. Pomegranate season is in full force which means they are not only cheap but they are ripe and sweet.
For added protein, fiber and healthy fats, I sprinkled the bowl with coconut flakes, chia seeds and hemp. The crunchy texture of the toppings is the perfect compliment to the tangy, sweet and slightly tart acai bowl.
Your spoon is waiting.
Acai Bowl with Pomegranate and Coconut
- 1 medium banana (frozen)
- 1 packet acai puree (unsweetened (such as Trader Joe's))
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk (or regular milk) (unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- Before placing the acai puree in the blender, hit it against the counter top to help break apart.
- Place frozen banana, acai packet and almond milk in a high speed blender and puree until creamy. Pour into a bowl and top with remaining ingredients.