This easy to make smoothie breakfast trend is ready in minutes and will fuel your day with two powerful superfruits. Very customizable!
One of the many reasons I love to travel is the inspiration I return home within the kitchen. Inevitably, I always come home inspired and excited to recreate several dishes I enjoyed on my trip.
Case in point: during my recent visit to Miami’s South Beach I feel in love with the fresh and flavorful acai bowls. From the minute I took one bite I knew right away I needed to recreate them at home.
What is acai?
If you’re not familiar with acai, it’s a berry native of Central and South America that is naturally tart.
Where do you buy acai?
Commonly sold in frozen puree packets, you can but acai at places like Costco, Trader Joe’s and possibly at your local grocery store.
How do you prepare frozen acai?
Once you have some frozen acai on hand you can prepare it how you like. The perfect start is simply blending with frozen bananas and your milk (or water) of choice. While I’m not really one for following recipes, I’m always about making it my own by incorporating what I had on hand and what fruits are in season.
What topping do you add to an acai bowl?
For added protein, fiber, and healthy fats, I recommend adding to the bowl coconut flakes, chia seeds, and hemp. The crunchy texture of the toppings is the perfect complement to the tangy, sweet, and slightly tart acai bowl.
Your spoon is waiting.
Acai Bowl with Pomegranate and Coconut
- 1 medium banana frozen
- 1 packet acai puree unsweetened (such as Trader Joe's)
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk (or regular milk) unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- Before placing the acai puree in the blender, hit it against the counter top to help break apart.
- Place frozen banana, acai packet and almond milk in a high speed blender and puree until creamy. Pour into a bowl and top with remaining ingredients.