Light, nutty and moist – these gluten free muffins will have you coming back for more!
I decided to create my first ever gluten-free muffin recipe. Although I don’t follow a strict gluten free diet, I have been intrigued by almond flour for quite awhile which just so happens to be the ideal wheat alternative for baking.
Almond flour is loaded in health benefits!
- Protein packed: a serving of almond flour provides 5 grams of cholesterol-free protein.
- Full of vitamins and minerals including magnesium, Vitamin E, potassium and more.
- Great source of dietary fiber providing 3 grams per serving (as compared to just .6 of a gram in white flour.)
- Rich in mono-unsaturated fatty acids. (These muffins are also made with olive oil so you are getting a double dose of these heart-healthy fats!)
Of course, the million dollar question: “How do they taste?!” If you’re looking for a moist, nutty and fluffy muffin that won’t go straight to your hips, this one is for you!
My boys eat these by the fistful and I’m right there with him.
It’s a good thing they are so healthy!
No fork required.
Almond Flour Blueberry Muffins
- 2 cup almond meal or flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup berries fresh or frozen - any type
- Pre-heat oven to 350 and line 12 muffin tins with baking cups.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- With the whisk attachment in a stand mixer, beat together eggs, egg whites, honey, olive oil, vanilla, lemon zest and juice over medium speed until combined.
- Slowly add the almond flour mixture into the wet mixture while running over medium speed until fully blended.
- Remove bowl from mixer and use a rubber spatula to gently fold in the berries.
- Using an ice cream scoop or large spoons, drop mixture evenly into lined muffin pan. Should be enough for 12 muffins.
- Bake for 25 minutes then let cool on cooling rack.
Want more mouth watering gluten free recipes? Head over to my Pinterest board!