Nothing helps you beat the Winter blues like a warm bowl of steamy chicken soup. It literally warms you up from the inside out. Today I am sharing my favorite Asian twist on the classic chicken noodle soup. In addition to being loaded in flavor and bursting with nutrients, this soup is a one pot meal providing all the protein, carb and veggies in one dish.
In this Post: Everything you need for Asian Chicken Soup with Soba Noodles
The best part? This soup doesn’t need hours of simmering – it literally comes together in just 15 minutes. Don’t have napa cabbage on hand? Try spinach, bok choy or savoy. No soba noodles? Try whole wheat spaghetti instead. As always, this recipe is more of a method than a specific list of instructions.
Don’t forget the sriracha. No fork required
Asian Chicken Soup with Soba Noodles
- 8 oz soba noodles (cooked according to package directions)
- 12 c chicken broth (low sodium)
- ½ c scallions (sliced & reserve 2 tbs for garnish)
- 1 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs ginger (minced)
- 1 tbs chili garlic paste
- 4 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 4 tbs soy sauce (low sodium)
- 2 tbs mirin (or sherry cooking wine)
- 2 tbs sesame oil
- 12 oz boneless chicken breast (sliced thin)
- 4 c napa cabbage (shredded)
- 3 c red cabbage (shredded)
- Sriracha (to serve & optional)
- Prepare soba noodles according to package instructions and set aside.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large soup pot.
- Meanwhile, wisk together scallions, sugar, ginger, chili garlic paste, vinegar, soy, mirin and sesame oil in a small bowl.
- Once broth comes to a boil, add scallion soy mixture, sliced chicken breast and cabbage.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 3 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Divide soba evenly into 4 bowls and pour soup on top.
- Garnish with remaining scallions and serve with sriracha on the side.