A bright and refreshing way to start your day, this Carrot Orange Ginger Juice packs a nutritional punch.
Today is the first week of our Healthy New Year 6-Week Challenge and I couldn’t be more excited to get this party started! Each week, Dara and I will be rolling out a new theme. Then, the following week we will add on another challenge while also keeping up with the first one. We know from experience that the key to long term success is making simple, gradual changes, one day at a time.
This week’s theme is one of my favorites: hydration. Staying hydrated is such an important aspect of healthy living but yet so many of us struggle to stay properly hydrated. Before I get to the how, I want to quickly explain the why:
- Stay Energized: Water is one of the most important sources of energy for the body. If you’re going to start 2015 off with a bang, you need to give your body the liquid fuel is needs to help you reach your goals.
- Bone and Joint Health: Cartilege is made up of mostly water so when we don’t stay hydrated, our bones and joints won’t have the proper lubrication and we will feel stiff and achey (and less eager to get moving.)
- Slows Down Aging: Drinking water is one of the easiest ways to flush out toxins from the body. The less toxins in your body, the more your skin will glow and the younger you will look. Plus, water is a whole lot cheaper than botox.
Of course, it goes without saying that drinking water is best way to stay hydrated but natural whole juices such as this Carrot Orange Ginger Juice also count towards your daily requirement. (Which, for the record, is half of your weight in ounces. So if you weigh 160 pounds, try to get 80 ounces of water a day.)
Have you ever made whole juices at home before? I prefer it over traditionally pressed juices because you don’t throw away all of that nutrient-dense, satisfying dietary fiber. Since it’s more filling, you don’t need to drink as much which also helps reduce calorie intake. Win Win.
To make at home, I use a high speed blender like my Blendtec Designer 725 and press the whole juice button. Don’t have one? Don’t worry – there will be a chance to win one during the challenge! Stay tuned.
In the meantime, this week I challenge you to stay hydrated by setting a specific, achievable goal. For example, if you typically drink 4 glasses of water a day, your goal this week is to drink 5 glasses a day. If you don’t love plain water, make a big pitcher of flavored water by tossing in lemon wedges, peeled ginger root, fresh mint or cucumber slices. Each day, make it a goal to drink the entire pitcher. And don’t forget, this Carrot Orange Ginger Juice and Dara’s Pink Grapefruit, Pineapple & Ginger Sparkler count towards your goal!
You can do it. Your straw is waiting.
- 4 in carrots peeled and cut large chunks
- 2 seedless oranges peeled
- 1 lemon skin removed
- 2 inch piece ginger root peeled
- 2 cups ice
- 1 cup water
Place all ingredients in the Blendtec blender and press the "whole juice" function. Add more or less ice to taste.
Pour into two glasses to serve.