Stock your freezer in advance with these hearty and nutritious freezer friendly burritos filled with tender chicken, black beans and brown rice.
We survived our first week back to school and it went by in a blink of an eye! I’ll tell you what, this busy back-to-school season is no joke.
It’s definitely a little intense and a bit of an adjustment for our family. Since my kids don’t go to daycare, this is the first time we’ve ever had to set an alarm clock or be anywhere at a specific time every single morning. I still get paranoid I’m going to forget to pick him up on time. Can you tell he’s my first?
Needless to say, I’ve been meal prepping like a boss. Not only does preparing food ahead of time reduce stress but it’s easier on our wallets and our waistlines which is always a win-win.
Especially when you’ve just returned from a week of binging on guacamole and poolside refreshments in Mexico. #WorthIt
One of the unexpected advantages of our Cancun vacation was discovering just how much my boys LOVE Mexican food. Assembled in just minutes, these make-ahead chicken and black bean burritos are way more delicious than anything you’ll find in the grocer’s freezer aisle.
Above all, making your own freezer burritos is much more nutritious because you can control the quality of ingredients. Speaking of, if you or one of your family members has a gluten intolerance, we love using Toufayan gluten-free wraps in lieu of flour tortillas. They come in a wide variety of flavors including Spinach, Garden Vegetable, and Savory Tomato.
When making these burritos, I used the original flavor. To make them even more pliable, I like to gently warm them for a couple of seconds on each side over an open burner. Don’t worry if they don’t look perfect, they will hold their shape really well since they will be heading into the freezer.
We made ours with leftover shredded rotisserie chicken, black beans and brown rice but feel free to mix and match with your favorite fillings. Pulled pork, kidney beans or quinoa would all be tasty ideas. As always, this recipe is more of a guideline than a specific recipe you must follow so get creative and have fun in the kitchen.
Frequently asked questions:
Up to 3 months.
I would say 1-2 minutes would be good, depending on your microwave. Everything is fully cooked inside so it’s really a matter of making it warm enough to eat. Be sure to take the plastic off prior to re-heating.
Chicken and Black Bean Burritos (Freezer Friendly)
- 8 Toufayan tortillas or gluten free wraps
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken rotisserie works well
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 cup shredded 2% mild cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, mix together chicken, rice, beans and salsa.
- Working in an assembly line, begin by filling one tortilla with ½ cup of the chicken and bean filling. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese
- To roll burritos, bring the bottom over the filling and then fold left and right side while you tightly roll the rest of the tortilla or wrap.
- Continue until all of the tortillas are filled and wrapped.
- To freeze, wrap each burrito individually in plastic wrap and place in a large resealable plastic bag before placing in the freezer.
- To reheat, simply microwave until warm, about 60 seconds.
More Healthy Mexican Eats is only a pin away!