Today’s salad is one of my favorite go-to lunch recipes. Chicken breast and black beans are a great source of lean protein. The beans also add fiber which helps keep you fuller, longer. For added flavor, I love to use fresh herbs such as cilantro. For a bit of a kick, I’ve added cumin, garlic and scallions.
With any entree salad, the key combination is veggies + protein + healthy fat. Olive oil is my healthy fat of choice today but avocado is another great source of healthy fats. No black beans? Try kidney beans instead.
Your fork is waiting.
Chicken and Black Bean Salad
- 8 oz chicken breasts cooked and shredded such as rotisserie
- 8 c lettuce or mixed greens of choice
- 1 c cucumber thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 c black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic grated
- ¼ c scallions diced
- ¼ c cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 Juice and zest of lime
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large salad bowl, combine chicken with lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes and black beans.
- In a small bowl, whisk together garlic, scallions, cilantro, cumin, lime juice/zest.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil and whisk to emulsify.
- Pour dressing over the salad and season with salt/pepper to taste.