This open-faced sandwich, also known as a tartine, is layered with lemon hummus, shaved chicken, crunchy vegetables and a creamy tahini sauce.
We consume a lot of Sabra hummus in our household. Between snacking on it with veggies, turning it into a warm dip or using it as the base for a quick and easy dinner, I love the convenience of having a high-protein, ready-to-eat ingredient on hand at all times.
One of my favorite ways to use hummus is as a healthy swap out for mayo on sandwiches. When Sabra told me they were bringing back my favorite flavor of all time, Lemon Twist, I knew right away that I wanted to use it in a sandwich of some sort.
My shaved chicken and hummus tartines (French for “open faced sandwich) all start with a hearty, thick slice of toasted whole grain bread. Next, I top with Sabra Lemon Twist Hummus, tomato, red onion, cucumber and shaved chicken breast.
To take the sandwich to the next level, I whip up a quick tahini sauce for drizzling. If you’ve never made tahini sauce before, you’ll love using this tahini, garlic and lemon sauce for dipping roasted vegetables, drizzling over grilled meats and more.
Before serving I like to sprinkle with minced fresh parsley to bring all the flavors together but you don’t need to bother if you don’t have any fresh herbs on hand.
If you plan to make this ahead of time for lunch, simply reserve the tahini sauce in a separate container until you’re ready to enjoy (similar to a salad dressing.)
Are you as excited as I am about the return of Sabra Lemon Twist hummus? I thought so.
No forks required.
Chicken and Hummus Tartine with Tahini Sauce
- 4 slices crusty whole grain bread toasted
- 1/2 cup Sabra Lemon Twist Hummus
- 1/4 cup cucumber thinly sliced
- 8 slices tomato
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 8 ounces shaved cooked chicken such as rotisserie
- minced parsley optional garnish
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic grated
- To assemble tartine, spread two tablespoons of Sabra Lemon Twist Hummus on each slice of toasted bread. Top hummus with cucumber, tomato, red onion and shaved chicken.
- Prepare Tahini sauce by whisking together all ingredients in a small bowl. If mixture seems thick, add warm water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until you reach desired consistency. Drizzle 1 tablespoon tahini sauce over each tartine before serving.
Disclosure: I am honored to be in a long term relationship with Sabra. All thoughts are my own. Thank you for supporting The Lemon Bowl. Photography by Alejandro Photography.
Want more tasty lunch recipes? Check out my Healthy Lunch Recipes Pinterest Board for more ideas!