This quick and easy vegetarian appetizer recipe is made with two types of beans, spicy hummus and plenty of shredded cheese before it is baked until warm and bubbly. The ultimate party dip!
I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m basically only invited to social gatherings for one reason: in hopes that I’ll bring my famous Mexican Baked Hummus Dip. Traditionally made with ground sirloin or spicy chorizo, I recently set out on a mission to create a meatless version that was just as delicious as the original.
In case you haven’t heard, National Hummus Day is May 13th and you better believe I intend to celebrate! Of course, any time I’m working with Sabra hummus, I can pretty much count on the appetizer being a home run. That said, I was determined to create an appetizer that tasted “meaty” but didn’t contain any actual meat.
My solution? Two types of beans: a combination of both black and kidney. By combining creamy black beans with savory kidney beans, I ended up with a super hearty dip that didn’t make anyone miss the meat at all.
To show the ease and versatility of this recipe, I took a couple different photos showing various options for both cheeses and toppings. Whether you use sharp cheddar, mild cheddar, monterrey jack or even mozzarella cheese, you really can’t go wrong.
For toppings, I love to mix textures like creamy avocado with crunchy red onion but the truth is – it will taste great with whatever you have on hand! Love cilantro? Add it! Hate red onions? Skip them! Make it your own. Just promise me you’ll make this addictive baked hummus dip.
Your chips are waiting.
Vegetarian Mexican Baked Hummus Dip
- 2 10-ounce containers Sabra Supremely Spicy Hummus (original works too!)
- 15 ounces black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15 ounces kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- diced avocado, scallions, tomato, red onion, cilantro (optional garnish)
- tortilla chips (optional to serve)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and have an 8 x 8 baking dish ready.
- In a medium bowl, mix together hummus and beans. Spread in an even layer in the bottom of baking dish then top with shredded cheese. Bake until warm and bubbly, about 20-25 minutes.
- Garnish with optional toppings if you wish and serve with chips or veggies.