Chicken broccoli pasta gets kicked up a notch with a simple, yet flavorful, white wine butter sauce bursting with fresh lemon flavor.
Whenever I travel out of town, I like to stock the fridge with plenty of food and ready-to-eat meals that my husband can easily reheat for the boys.
Since I don’t want to worry about my boys surviving on Cheez-Its and Oreos, I love whipping up a batch of my fast and easy Chicken Broccoli Pasta with Lemon Butter Sauce.
Made with just a few simple ingredients, I love to use a little white wine to deglaze the pan after browning the chicken but you’re welcome to use chicken broth to avoid the alcohol.
Personally, I love the flavor it adds in the background of the dish and I don’t worry about serving it to my boys since most of the alcohol content cooks off.
This pasta is ideal for entertaining a crowd, gifting to a new mother or making ahead for an easy, re-heatable week day lunch.
Not a fan of broccoli? This pasta would be just as delicious with asparagus, green beans or peas.
Your fork is waiting.
Can this dish be reheated?
I think reheating it in a sauté pan with a little olive oil would be best but microwave totally works too.
Can I swap the chicken out?
Chicken can easily be swapped out for shrimp, pork tenderloin or even white beans.
Chicken Broccoli Pasta with Lemon Butter Sauce
- 1 pound dry penne regular or whole wheat
- 8 cups broccoli cut into florets
- 20 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Parmigiano reggiano and fresh basil optional garnish
- Bring a large pot of salty water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Two minutes before the pasta is done cooking, add the broccoli to the same pot cooking the pasta.
- Drain the pasta and broccoli and return to pan; set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add cooking spray. Sprinkle cubed chicken breasts with salt and chili flakes. Add to pan and brown, 7-9 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and reserve.
- Leaving the pan on medium-high, add white wine and use wooden spoon to deglaze pan by scraping up the browned bits from the bottom. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer.
- Add butter to the pan and heat until melted. Stir in lemon juice and chicken broth then simmer for additional minute or two.
- Add reserved chicken and any juices formed back to the pot with the pasta and broccoli. Stir in lemon butter sauce and toss well. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Stir in olive oil before dividing between 6 plates. Serve with plenty of Parmigiano reggiano and fresh basil.
Can this dish be reheated?I think reheating it in a sauté pan with a little olive oil would be best but microwave totally works too.
Can I swap the chicken out?Chicken can easily be swapped out for shrimp, pork tenderloin or even white beans.
Need more quick dinner ideas? Check out my Pinterest board!