Chicken broccoli pasta gets kicked up a notch with a simple, yet flavorful, white wine butter sauce bursting with fresh lemon flavor.
Whenever I travel out of town, I like to stock the fridge with plenty of food and ready-to-eat meals that my husband can easily reheat for the boys.
Last week I had the opportunity to travel to Virginia to visit one of Sabra’s chick pea farms. As someone who has been eating and making hummus her entire life, this was quite the exciting experience!!
Since I didn’t want to boys to survive on Cheez-Its and Oreos, I decided to whip up this fast and easy Chicken Broccoli Pasta with Lemon Butter Sauce. A little white wine is used to deglaze the pan after browning the chicken but you’re welcome to use chicken broth to avoid the alcohol. Personally, I love the added flavor it adds in the background of the dish and I don’t worry about serving it to my boys since most of the alcohol content cooks off.
This pasta is ideal for entertaining a crowd, gifting to a new mother or making ahead for an easy, reheatable week day lunch. Chicken can easily be swapped out for shrimp, pork tenderloin or even white beans. Broccoli is in season right now but this method also works well for asparagus, green beans or peas.
Walking through Times Square with friends knowing that your family isn’t surviving on ice cream and Gold Fish? Priceless.
Your fork is waiting.
- 1 pound dry penne regular or whole wheat
- 8 cups broccoli cut into florets
- 20 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Parmigiano reggiano and fresh basil optional garnish
- Bring a large pot of salty water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Two minutes before the pasta is done cooking, add the broccoli to the same pot cooking the pasta.
- Drain the pasta and broccoli and return to pan; set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add cooking spray. Sprinkle cubed chicken breasts with salt and chili flakes. Add to pan and brown, 7-9 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and reserve.
- Leaving the pan on medium-high, add white wine and use wooden spoon to deglaze pan by scraping up the browned bits from the bottom. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer.
- Add butter to the pan and heat until melted. Stir in lemon juice and chicken broth then simmer for additional minute or two.
- Add reserved chicken and any juices formed back to the pot with the pasta and broccoli. Stir in lemon butter sauce and toss well. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Stir in olive oil before dividing between 6 plates. Serve with plenty of Parmigiano reggiano and fresh basil.