Chicken broccoli pasta gets kicked up a notch with a simple, yet flavorful, white wine butter sauce bursting with fresh lemon flavor.
Whenever I travel out of town, I like to stock the fridge with plenty of food and ready-to-eat meals that my husband can easily reheat for the boys.
Since I don’t want to worry about my boys surviving on Cheez-Its and Oreos, I love whipping up a batch of my fast and easy Chicken Broccoli Pasta with Lemon Butter Sauce.
Made with just a few simple ingredients, I love to use a little white wine to deglaze the pan after browning the chicken but you’re welcome to use chicken broth to avoid the alcohol.
Personally, I love the flavor it adds in the background of the dish and I don’t worry about serving it to my boys since most of the alcohol content cooks off.
This pasta is ideal for entertaining a crowd, gifting to a new mother or making ahead for an easy, re-heatable weekday lunch.
Not a fan of broccoli? This pasta would be just as delicious with asparagus, green beans or peas.
Your fork is waiting.
Frequently asked questions:
Reheating it in a sauté pan with a little olive oil would be best but heating in the microwave totally works too.
Chicken can easily be swapped out for shrimp, pork tenderloin or even white beans.
Chicken Broccoli Pasta with Lemon Butter Sauce
- 1 pound dry penne regular or whole wheat
- 8 cups broccoli cut into florets
- 20 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Parmigiano Reggiano and fresh basil optional garnish
- Bring a large pot of salty water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Two minutes before the pasta is done cooking, add the broccoli to the same pot cooking the pasta.
- Drain the pasta and broccoli and return to pan; set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add cooking spray. Sprinkle cubed chicken breasts with salt and chili flakes. Add to pan and brown, 7-9 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and reserve.
- Leaving the pan on medium-high, add white wine and use a wooden spoon to deglaze the pan by scraping up the browned bits from the bottom. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer.
- Add butter to the pan and heat until melted. Stir in lemon juice and chicken broth then simmer for an additional minute or two.
- Add reserved chicken and any juices formed back to the pot with the pasta and broccoli. Stir in lemon butter sauce and toss well. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Stir in olive oil before dividing between 6 plates. Serve with plenty of Parmigiano Reggiano and fresh basil.
Need more quick dinner ideas? Check out my Pinterest board!