This hearty caprese grain salad is made with whole grain farro, tomatoes, basil and fresh mozzarella. Ideal for making ahead!
Whether I'm entertaining friends or family or simply want to save time during the busy week, I love prepping ahead hearty grain salads that I know can sit in the refrigerator for a couple days.
This hearty farro caprese salad is no exception. Made with whole grain farro, creamy mozzarella, juicy tomatoes and fresh basil, the entire dish actually gets even better as it sits!
The reason this salad sits so well is because the hearty, chewy farro actually absorbs the dressing and other flavors over time. This is a great dish to prep ahead on a Sunday and grab throughout the week to serve with grilled chicken or fish.
If you're hosting a party, this salad not only can be made ahead of time but it also travels well. Perfect for barbecues, picnics and more.
When it comes to fresh herbs, you really can't beat fragrant basil. I love to sprinkle on a little fresh right before serving,
If you don't have farro on hand, this dish would work just as well with quinoa, freekeh, spelt or brown rice. Want a greek twist? Try my Farro Greek Salad with Feta and Dill.
Your fork is waiting.
Farro Caprese Salad
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill Farro (cooked, prepared according to package instructions)
- 8 ounces bocconcini (mini fresh mozzarella balls)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- ⅓ cup fresh basil (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and toss well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Can be served warm, room temp or chilled.
Disclosure: I am honored to be in a long term partnership with Bob’s Red Mill. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
Need more hearty salad recipes? Check out my Pinterest board!