These air-fried pickle chips come out flavorful and crisp, without all the oil. Perfect with a burger or served as a fun, unique appetizer.
Is anyone else obsessed with fried pickles? Whenever I see them on a bar menu I pretty much have to order them. Salty, crunchy, hot and slightly spicy, I love dipping them into ranch dressing (ideally with a cold beer.)
Of course, we all know that deep fried pickles aren’t exactly easy on the waistline which is why I was thrilled to see a lightened recipe for AIR FRIED pickle chips in my friend Gina’s newest cookbook: The SkinnyTaste Air Fryer Cookbook. Available now on Amazon and bookstores nationwide, her cookbook features the 75 best healthy recipes for your air fryer including options for breakfast, lunch, dinner and even desserts.
If you don’t already own one (I sure didn’t), you are in luck because Gina patented her very own SkinnyTaste by Vremi Air Fryer. How cool is that? Easy to use, lightweight and dishwasher safe, I was very impressed with how easy it was to learn a new-to-me kitchen appliance.
To make these pickle chips you simply coat the dill slices in a panko breading mixture seasoned with pantry spices you likely already have on hand.
Of course, you can’t have fried pickled with out a cool and creamy dipping sauce am I right? Fortunately, Gina’s Cajun buttermilk ranch dressing was easy to make and loaded in flavor. This dressing was so good I recommend making extra for salads later in the week.
Air-Fried Pickle Chips with Cajun Buttermilk Ranch
- Air Fryer
- 24 dill pickle slices
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs regular or gluten free
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt-free Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 large egg beaten
- olive oil spray
Cajun Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- 1/3 cup 1% buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons scallions chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt-free Cajun seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place the pickles on paper towels to absorb the excess liquid, then pat dry (so the chips don't come out soggy.)
- In a medium bowl, combine the panko, cornmeal, Cajun seasoning, and parsley. Put the egg in a separate small bowl.
- Working one at a time, coat a pickle chip in the egg, then in the crumb mixture, gently pressing to adhere. Set aside on a work suracee and reeat with the remaining pickles. Spray both sides of the pickles with oil.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Working in batches, arrange a single layer of hte chips in the air fryer basket. Cook for 8 minutes, flipping halfway, until golden and crisp. (For a toaster oven-style air fryer, cook at 375 degrees; the timing remains the same.)
- Meanwhile, for the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, mayonnaise, scallion, Cajin seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, dried parlsye, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve along side the pickles for dipping.
Recipe from The SkinnyTaste Air Fryer Cookbook // Photography by Alejandro Photography
Want more mouth watering appetizer recipes? Check out my Pinterest board!