This healthy, whole grain and gluten free banana oatmeal muffin recipe is moist and cake-like yet contains no oil or butter.
My boys call muffins “cakes” because they think they are cupcakes and it makes me giggle every time. To keep them happy, I like to keep a batch of freshly baked muffins in the house as much as possible.
Packed with sweet bananas, chewy oats and creamy yogurt, these naturally gluten free banana oatmeal muffins are made without any oil or butter. My secret? Musselman’s apple butter!
Made with sweet apples and absolutely zero corn syrup, apple butter is one of my favorite ways to bake healthier all year round. And, since these muffins are so moist and cake-like, they freeze really well so be sure to double the batch for easy snacking at a moments notice.
In the meantime, I’d love to hear your best healthy baking swap outs – I am always looking for new ideas. Happy Baking!!
Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- 2 large mashed ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Musselman’s Apple Butter
- 1/2 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 cup plain low fat yogurt
- 1½ cup oat flour **see note
- 1¼ cups old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- ½ cup chopped walnuts divided
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and spray a muffin pan with cooking spray or line with baking cups.
- In a large bowl, mix together wet ingredients: mashed bananas through yogurt; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk oat flour (see note below), oats, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Slowly combine the dry mixture with the wet mixture and stir until incorporated. Add in ¼ cup of the walnuts and stir again.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin tins and sprinkle each with teaspoon or so of remaining chopped walnuts. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for two minutes then remove to cool completely on a cooling rack.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
Disclosure: I am honored to be a Brand Ambassador for Musselman’s Apple Butter. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
For more Healthy Breakfast Ideas check out my Pinterest page!
Follow The Lemon Bowl | Liz Della Croce’s board Healthy Breakfast Ideas on Pinterest.