These thick and fudgy brownies are topped with a chocolate espresso frosting sending these gluten free treats to the next level.
In this Post: Everything you need for Gluten Free Fudge Brownies
Chocolate and espresso are a flavor match made in heaven and one that is very close to my heart. It all goes back to the infamous duck cake you’ve heard me mention over the years.
Long story short, every year on our birthdays my mom would bake a giant duck-shaped cake for me and my sisters. We grew up with the last name Davis and were often called the “Davis Ducklings.” Don’t ask.
The duck-shaped pan is so large it requires TWO boxes of mix! (That’s right folks, she used yellow cake mix and it was fantastic.) Once the cake cooled, she would frost it with an irresistible chocolate frosting that she made with instant espresso instead of milk.
Most recently, I decided to try my mom’s famous frosting recipe on Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Brownie Mix. Ideal for serving a crowd or bringing to a party where someone may have a gluten allergy, these thick and chewy brownies taste just like the real deal.
No one in my family has a gluten intolerance and I can assure you they were none-the-wiser.
What are you waiting for? It’s time to get baking.
Gluten Free Fudge Brownies
- Prepare Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Brownie Mix according to package instructions then let cool for one hour.
- To prepare the Mocha Frosting, melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Pour melted butter into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add cocoa powder to the melted butter in the bowl of the stand mixer and beat on low speed until evenly incorporated.
- Measure boiling water in a liquid glass measuring cup then add espresso powder. Whisk with a fork until granules evaporate; set aside.
- Rotating between espresso mixture and powdered sugar, slowly add a little of each to the mixer with the speed increased to medium. Continue alternating between espresso and powdered sugar until frosting is flight and fluffy. This should take 2-3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and beat for 60 more seconds until evenly incorporated.
- Spread frosting on brownies then chill 30 minutes before slicing to serve.
Disclosure: I am in a long-term paid partnership with Bob’s Red Mill. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.