These thick and fudgy brownies are topped with a chocolate espresso frosting sending these gluten free treats to the next level.
Chocolate and espresso are a flavor match made in heaven and one that is very close to my heart. It all goes back to the infamous duck cake you’ve heard me mention over the years.
Long story short, every year on our birthdays my mom would bake a giant duck-shaped cake for me and my sisters. We grew up with the last name Davis and were often called the “Davis Ducklings.” Don’t ask.
The duck-shaped pan is so large it requires TWO boxes of mix! (That’s right folks, she used yellow cake mix and it was fantastic.) Once the cake cooled, she would frost it with an irresistible chocolate frosting that she made with instant espresso instead of milk.
As a result, I’ve been combining espresso and chocolate ever since. Not only does it add depth to most chocolate desserts but it adds the perfect amount of caffeine to a protein smoothie.
Most recently, I decided to try my mom’s famous frosting recipe on Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Brownie Mix. Ideal for serving a crowd or bringing to a party where someone may have a gluten allergy, these thick and chewy brownies taste just like the real deal.
No one in my family has a gluten intolerance and I can assure you they were none-the-wiser.
What are you waiting for? It’s time to get baking.
Gluten Free Fudge Brownies
- 1 stick salted butter
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Prepare Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Brownie Mix according to package instructions then let cool for one hour.
- To prepare the Mocha Frosting, melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Pour melted butter into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add cocoa powder to the melted butter in the bowl of the stand mixer and beat on low speed until evenly incorporated.
- Measure boiling water in a liquid glass measuring cup then add espresso powder. Whisk with a fork until granules evaporate; set aside.
- Rotating between espresso mixture and powdered sugar, slowly add a little of each to the mixer with the speed increased to medium. Continue alternating between espresso and powdered sugar until frosting is flight and fluffy. This should take 2-3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and beat for 60 more seconds until evenly incorporated.
- Spread frosting on brownies then chill 30 minutes before slicing to serve.
Disclosure: I am in a long-term paid partnership with Bob’s Red Mill. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
Coffee and chocolate together are pretty much my two favorite things…so basically I need these brownies. Preferably in bulk. Delivered straight to my face.
You and me both hahaha!
I LOVE this mix!!!
Espresso and chocolate goes SO well together, one of my favorite combos. These sound like the perfect brownies!
I still can’t believe fudgy isn’t a real word – haha!!
These look perfectly rich and dense, YUM!!!
What a decadent brownie!!! Want :)
YUMMY! I recently made chocolate muffins and added a Starbucks Via to it – I’m pretty sure that’s what made it extra special.
What a smart idea!!
I love this story – what a wise mother to get you started on the good stuff early. Thanks for another fabulous recipe!
Aww.. aren’t moms the best? :)
these look so good, chocolate + coffee = best.
Gah, I love so many of Bob’s Red Mill products, and I have never had their brownie mix – this needs to change! I like how you added instant espresso – because, YUM!
You’ve got to try their brownie mix!! It’s so good – perfectly fudgy!!
Gluten or no gluten, give me these brownies!!!
You can have three!
I’ve been eyeballing Bob’s Red Mill Brownie Mix – these sound fantastic! And that mocha frosting – omg yum!
You’d love their mix!! It’s so good!
Yummy for my tummy!! I love love love chocolate!!
I hope you try them!
These look SERIOUSLY decadent! Is it too early for chocolate???
Heck no girl!
Well now you’re speaking my language, girl!
I knew you’d like these! :)
i would never say no to a brownie, especially when fudge is involved!
I knew I liked you!
Ok, love the duck cake story….too cute and funny!! These brownies look amazing, that is my kind of frosting!
Quack Quack! :) xo