A fast and healthy weeknight dinner recipe, ground turkey is sauteed with seasonal vegetables and simmered in a fragrant Indian spiced tomato sauce.
We eat a lot of ground turkey in our house and I imagine many of you do, too. Versatile, affordable, and packed with protein and minerals, it is a busy cook’s best friend!
Acting like a blank canvas, I love using ingredients and spices from around the world to add flavor to ground turkey. Szechuan Green Beans and Ground Turkey is a staple in our house and I frequently make Turkey Black Bean Chili with Sriracha and Yogurt for lunches throughout the week.
Ground Turkey and Zucchini with Indian Spices was created on a whim to use up all of the summer vegetables I bought at the farmers market during the summer but it’s great all year round to use up whatever you have on hand.
Naturally gluten-free, high in protein and low carb, my Ground Turkey and Zucchini with Indian Spices turned out to be the perfect lunch that I could prep in bulk and enjoy for several days. In fact, the flavors developed and got better over time. I love when that happens. Serve on brown rice or as is with a side salad.
What is Garam Masala?
Garam Masala is a combination of 30+ spices. Some of the ingredients it would include would be star anise, bay leaves, fennel seeds, garlic, ginger, turmeric, and more.
Where can I buy Garam Masala?
Many grocery stores including Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods sell it in their spices section. Amazon stocks it as well.
What’s good to serve with a ground turkey recipe?
Brown Rice would be a nice addition or one of my Lebanese salads.
The cayenne to the recipe is optional and does add a little bit of heat to it. Leave it out if you would like to serve mild.
Is this recipe freezer friendly?
What are your favorite ground turkey recipes? Any questions I can answer for you? I’d love to hear from you. Your fork is waiting.
Ground Turkey and Zucchini with Indian Spices
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 large zucchini diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon grass minced, optional
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup tomato sauce low sodium
- 1/2 cup diced scallions
- Heat a deep skillet over medium high heat and spray with cooking spray. Sautee onions until tender, about 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add ground turkey and salt. Cook until turkey is half-way cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in bell peppers, zucchini, ginger, lemon grass, cumin, smoked paprika, garam masala, cinnamon, cayenne and allspice. Saute until veggies are tender, about 8-9 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for additional 5 minutes or until everything is cooked through and tender.
- Sprinkle with scallions right before serving.
- Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
Looking for more dinner ideas? Check out my Healthy Entrees board!