A light and refreshing Italian salad with an added extra kick for your taste buds. Ready on the table in less than 15 minutes.
Today’s recipe was inspired by my first visit to the Fulton Street Farmer’s Market this season! It was so wonderful to spend my Saturday morning walking the familiar path of stalls filled with flowers, herbs, vegetables, meats, cheeses, coffee, and more. Confession: the peppers and tomatoes are admittedly not local quite yet but I couldn’t resist the bright colors and affordable prices that the market offers.
Giardiniera is my secret ingredient that gives this salad an extra kick. A zippy medley of pickled cauliflower, carrots, and peppers, giardiniera is easily available and found in the Italian section of most grocery stores near the capers, roasted red peppers, etc. Choose mild, medium, or spicy depending on your personal preference. No matter which version you buy, it is a tasty addition to your regular week-night salad that will be a pleasant surprise to your family’s taste buds.
Last but not least – don’t forget the fresh herbs. Farmers markets and garden stores are filled with potted herbs. Spend a few minutes planting them now and you’ll have fresh herbs available for free all season long. You won’t regret it.
Your fork is waiting.
Italian Giardiniera Salad
- 2 sweet bell peppers yellow red or orange
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 large tomato cut into 1″ pieces
- ½ c giardiniera salad diced (pickled cauliflower, carrots, peppers, etc.)
- ¼ c lightly packed basil leaves chopped
- ¼ c Italian parsley chopped
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 Juice of lemon
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place chopped peppers, onion, tomato, giardiniera, fresh herbs and garlic into a medium bowl.
- Drizzle on olive oil, lemon juice and salt/pepper to taste.
- Mix well and check for seasoning. **Feel free to add or substitute any veggies you have on hand including cucumbers, radishes, romaine, etc.