A spicy twist on the traditional Moscow mule recipe, this version is made with gin, jalapeños, and ginger beer. The perfect drink that’s zesty, spicy, and not too sweet.
Whenever I try a new cocktail at a restaurant, I love going home and making it my own. These spicy Jalapeño Moscow Mules were inspired by just that. For me, that typically means dialing down the sweetness, doubling the citrus, and kicking up the spice level a bit. I like my cocktails zesty, spicy, and not very sweet. If you’re like me, then you’ll love this take on a Moscow Mule!
- Mint sprigs: Fresh mint adds a brightness and hint of sweetness to this spicy drink.
- Jalapeño: Deliciously spicy, while remaining mild enough for most to enjoy.
- Lime juice: Lime pairs wonderfully with both jalapeños and vodka or gin, balancing the flavors.
- Gin or vodka: A classic Moscow mule is made with vodka, but I tend to prefer mine with gin. Either make for a great cocktail.
- Ginger beer: A little zesty, a little sweet, and strength of each varies depending on the brand. Use your favorite to finish the cocktail to be perfect for you.
How to Make a Jalapeño Moscow Mule
Start your Jalapeño Moscow Mule by thinly slicing your jalapeños, cutting your lime,and preparing your mint sprigs.
Add lime slices, jalapeño, and mint sprigs to a pitcher. Then using a muddler or the end of a wooden spoon, muddle all of the ingredients together to release the flavors.
Next add the gin to the pitcher, not removing any of the ingredients.
Next add freshly squeezed lime juice.
Then stir everything together for infuse the flavors.
Strain into copper mugs full of ice, filling to about 3/4 of the way to the top. Finish off each glass with ginger beer to the rim.
If you’re feeling fancy, garnish with additional lime wedges or jalapeño slices. Serve and enjoy this spicy Jalapeño Moscow Mule cocktail.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do you leave the seeds in the jalapeno for the muddled mixture?
Leave the seeds in for a spicier drink or remove for a more mild result.
How do I make this drink sweeter?
I think the ginger beer adds enough sweetness, but you can add a simple syrup to make the drink sweeter to your liking.
Do you have to use a copper mug to serve Moscow mules?
It’s traditional and fun to serve in a copper mug, but you don’t have to!
More Moscow Mules
- Strawberry Moscow Mule
- Pomegranate Moscow Mule
- Peach Moscow Mule
- Apple Cider Moscow Mule
- Pear Moscow Mule
Did you try this cocktail? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials. Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your drink.
You don’t have to wait until your next GNO to enjoy a fun cocktail. With my Jalapeño Moscow Mule recipe, you can feel fancy from the comfort of your home.
Your straw is waiting.
Jalapeño Moscow Mule
- ¼ cup fresh mint sprigs
- 1 thinly sliced jalapeño (divided)
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 6 ounces gin (or vodka)
- 12 ounces ginger beer
- simple syrup to sweet (optional)
- In a pitcher, use the back of a wooden spoon to muddle together the mint, half of the jalapeño slices and lime juice.
- Pour in gin then stir well.
- Fill four copper mugs with ice and add in equal parts of the gin mixture leaving filling the mugs 3/4 of the way full.
- Top off each glass with equal parts ginger beer and serve with additional jalapeño slices or lime wedges for garnish.
Hey, just wanting too make you aware in Firefox thee pictures don’t load fully.
Thank you for letting us know Mariana – we will look into it!
Jalapenos are my favourite,but I never thought of garnishing a drink with them.Thank you for sharing your ideas.
It’s really delicious!!
Just Pinned this – this sounds like the perfect summer cocktail!
Yay let me know what you think!
Do you leave the seeds in the jalapeno for the muddled mixture? I love Moscow Mules, and like you, I don’t like a sweet drink. Please email and let me know about the seeds. Thanks!
Leave it in for a spicier drink or remove for a more mild result!
Where did you get that drink set? They look awesome!
There’s a link to it right in the recipe in the instructions! See it? http://amzn.to/2adElmF
Apparently I was more interested in the drink, I am a guy remember!
haha I don’t blame you!
YUM! Love Moscow Mules, especially with that kick of jalapeno. Pinned! :)
Me too! I heart spicy drinks!
That sounds like a ton of fun. I would love to do a dance class. And to go out for cocktails with the gals. Great call to scale down the sugar and up the zesty side of this classic. I want one!
I had to skip the summer session but am signing up again in a couple weeks – it’s so much fun!!