Today’s recipe is dedicated to my friend Debbie who was asked for a healthy and delicious bran muffin recipe. If you’re looking for those jumbo sized sugar-laden “mini-cakes” they sell at your local donut shop, this might not be the recipe for you. The thing is, I don’t have a major sweet tooth. Fortunately, this comes in handy when creating healthy baked good recipes because I actually prefer the subtle, natural sweetness that comes from ingredients like honey or natural applesauce. Is this going to be the sweetest muffin of your life? Probably not. But I promise it is moist and full of flavor.
Do you have wheat bran in your house? You should! It stores well and is loaded in health benefits. This unprocessed whole grain is an excellent source of dietary fiber that reduces your risk of type II diabetes and reduces inflammation. Incorporating wheat bran into your diet will reduce your risk of cancer and heart disease as well.
Whenever I bake with blueberries, I like to add in a little citrus zest such as the lemon I zested into my Lemon Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins. The natural oils from the citrus fruit is the perfect background flavor to accentuate all of the other ingredients. It won’t overpower your muffin, just provide a little something to make your friends go “Mmm….these are good!”
Your friends are waiting.
Moist Blueberry Bran Muffins
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and line muffin pan with muffin tins or spray with non-stick spray.
- Mix wheat bran with milk in a small bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together honey, yogurt, apple sauce, egg and vanilla.
- Stir in wheat bran/milk mixture.
- Add sifted flour (whole wheat and white), baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Gently stir in the orange zest and blueberries.
- Fill muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve warm or store in air-tight container for up to 7 days. These also freeze well.