With over 18 grams of protein per serving, these protein packed pancakes will give you and your family lasting energy all morning long.
As we near the end of February, I thought it might be a good time to check in and see how everyone is doing with their healthy living goals. Have you been cooking at home more? Getting active most days of the week? I’ve been working hard to kick the baby weight and so far, so good. I reached my goal for the month of January and I’m a pound away from my February goal. For me, making small SMART Goals throughout the process is key to avoid getting overwhelmed with long term goals.
If you follow me on Instagram or have been reading this blog for awhile, you’ve probably noticed that I try to eat unprocessed, whole foods as much as possible. Why is clean eating is so important to my healthy lifestyle? It’s really quite simple:
- Less Confusion: Food labels are complicated these days. With clever marketing and buzz words like “all natural”, “farm fresh” and more, it is any wonder why people have trouble making smart food choices these days. By eating foods that come from the ground (i.e. apples, farro, Swiss chard, peanuts, etc.) or have a mother (i.e. eggs, chicken breasts, pork tenderloin, etc.) I can feel good about what I’m eating. You’ll notice that a carton of eggs doesn’t have an ingredients list and I like that. It takes out the guess work.
- Better Nutrition: As a nursing mom and a busy stay at home mother of an active two year old, I need all of the energy I can get. By filling my body with unprocessed foods, I know that I am giving my baby and myself the nutrients that it needs. Eggs are not only extremely affordable but they contain vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and protein for around 70 calories each. Added bonus: they cook in seconds which is about all I have these days. ;)
These Protein Packed Pancakes are a smarter choice than the traditional flap jacks because they get an added boost of protein from eggs and creamy ricotta cheese. If you’d like to kick up the nutrition even further, feel free to swap out whole wheat pastry flour for the all purpose flour. For a little added sweetness try tossing in berries, mashed bananas or shredded apples. The options are endless.
Why do you eat clean? I’d love to hear what motivates you.
Your fork is waiting.
Protein Packed Pancakes
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Beat eggs, cheese, flour, oil, baking powder, salt and vanilla in large bowl until blended.
- Heat lightly greased large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat until hot. Spoon 1/4 cup portion of batter (1 tablespoon for silver dollar size) into skillet; Cook until golden brown, turning once.