Quinoa is tossed with sun-dried tomatoes, apples and scallions in a garlicky lemon vinaigrette to create this simple, protein-packed dish.
I love quinoa because it is an affordable, plant-based source of protein that is naturally gluten free and full of fiber. That being said, until recently, I thought I hated it! As it turns out, I just didn’t know how to prepare it properly. The truth is, quinoa is extremely versatile. It is a blank canvas that can be used in soups, salads, stir-fries, desserts and more.
To achieve quinoa nirvana, it requires a bit of doctoring. Here are my tips for creating delicious quinoa dishes:
1. Toast and Rinse Quinoa: A secret to cooking quinoa is to rinse it and lightly toast it in a little olive oil before cooking it. If you want to add even more flavor, swap out vegetable or chicken stock for water during the cooking process
2. Season Properly: Salt is your friend when it comes to cooking quinoa. Or any food from scratch for that matter. Remember, no matter how much salt you add when cooking at home you are always going to wind up with less sodium than anything you order in a restaurant or make from a box.
3. Add Texture: Quinoa can be a bit mushy on it’s own. I love combining it with various ingredients to add contrasting textures. Crunchy apples, chewy sun-dried tomatoes and fresh herbs all add texture to this dish.
Want more delicious quinoa recipes? Check out these other tasty ideas:
Quinoa Granola from Gimme Some Oven
Quinoa Chili from Damn Delicious
Quinoa Caprese Salad from The Lemon Bowl
Hearty Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash and Quinoa from Cookin’ Canuck
Quinoa Salad with Charred Corn and Avocado from Two Peas and a Pod
Peanutty Quinoa Bowls from Oh My Veggies
Hummus Quinoa Cakes from The Lemon Bowl
Tabasco Quinoa Chicken Bake from What’s Gaby Cooking
Toasted Quinoa Chocolate Chunk Bars from Something Swanky
Your fork is waiting.
Quinoa with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Apples and Scallions
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa prepared according to package instructions
- 1 apple diced
- 12 pieces sun-dried tomatoes minced
- 1/2 cup scallions minced
- 1/4 cup parsley minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 juice of lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a medium bowl, toss together cooked quinoa with diced apples, sun-dried tomatoes, scallions and parsley.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, grated garlic, salt and pepper. Drizzle vinaigrette over the quinoa mixture and toss well to combine.
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.