Everything you love about sausage pizza without all the carbs! These gluten free sausage stuffed peppers are stuffed with Italian sausage, Riced Veggies and shredded mozzarella cheese.
My husband and our youngest are pizza fanatics but my oldest and I could take it or leave it. My solution? These low carb sausage pizza stuffed peppers.
Packed with everything you love about sausage pizza (including plenty of melted cheese!) but none of the guilt, they are hearty and comforting yet light and not overly heavy.
My secret? They are jam packed with Green Giant Riced Veggies! Shh.. no one needs to know. While I normally love their cauliflower and veggie medley varieties, this time I was super excited to try one of their newest Riced Veggies: Kohlrabi! They also have three additional flavors that would work well in this recipe including Butternut Squash, Broccoli and Beets.
Click here for a $1.00 off coupon and try the Riced Veggies for yourself!
I’m a huge fan of kohlrabi (it’s delicious in a grilled cheese, btw!) so I knew it would be the perfect way to bulk up these stuffed peppers without adding a lot of calories. To save even more calories, I use the excess fat from cooking the Italian sausage to warm up the Riced Kohlrabi.
Of course, you can’t talk about pizza without talking cheese! For this recipe, I like shredded mozzarella because it melts well and is mild enough to let the real stars of the show shine: the Italian sausage and kohlrabi stuffing.
How much cheese you add is totally up to you. Don’t worry, I won’t tell.
This dish is great for freezing so if you’re making one batch, you might want to consider doubling up so that you have dinner ready for a later time or to gift a new mom or friend in need.
I’m willing to bet they’ll have no idea you filled these Sausage Pizza Stuffed Peppers with so much goodness.
Your fork is waiting.
Sausage Pizza Stuffed Peppers
- 4 large bell peppers (any color) seeded and halved lengthwise
- 1 pound Italian sausage sweet or spicy removed from casings
- 10 ounce bag Green Giant Riced Veggies Kohlrabi
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes optional
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds optional
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and place bell pepper halves in a single layer, facing up, in a 9 x 13 baking dish; set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add Italian sausage to the pan and heat until browned, about 9-11 minutes, using a wooden spoon to break the sausage into bite-sized crumbles.
- Pour Green Giant Riced Kohlrabi into the pan, along with garlic, oregano, salt, chili flakes and fennel seeds. Cook until kohlrabi is warmed through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce to the pan and stir well; remove from heat.
- Begin stuffing peppers with equal parts of the sausage mixture (about 1/3 cup each) until each pepper is evenly stuffed. It's ok to over-fill them. Sprinkle pan evenly with shredded cheese then bake until peppers are cooked through and the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
Recipe by The Lemon Bowl // Photography by Alejandro Photography
Want more easy and healthy dinner ideas? Head over to my Pinterest board for tasty gluten free recipes!