This raw veggie slaw is made with thinly shaved Brussels sprouts tossed in a bright lemon-parmesan vinaigrette. Great for prepping ahead!
We love Brussels in our house and eat them sauteed with bacon at least once or twice a month. While most people know to roast, bake, fry or steam Brussels, I want to encourage you to try eating them raw – thinly sliced or shaved into a slaw.
Crunchy, healthy and versatile, a Brussels slaw is a great winter salad. Heartier than a lettuce salad, a slaw made with Brussels is great for prepping ahead of time because it actually tastes better as the Brussels absorb more of the dressing.
How Long Can you Keep Brussels Slaw in the Refrigerator? This shaved Brussels sprouts slaw will last up to 3 days in the refrigerator stored in an air-tight container.
To create a lemon parmesan vinaigrette I simply toss the thinly sliced Brussels with lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and parmesan.
For added crunch, healthy fats and texture, I toast pine nuts in the oven for about 6-7 minutes before sprinkling on top of the Brussels slaw to serve.
Can Other Nuts be Used as Garnish? Absolutely! If you don’t have pine nuts on hand, almonds, cashews or peanuts would work great too.
Pro Tip: This is a great time to use high-quality Parmigiano Reggiano. The salty, nutty, sharp flavor will go a long way in this raw veggie salad.
Want to mix it up even more? Toss in dried cranberries or dried cherries or drizzle in a little honey for a touch of sweetness. Make it your own!
Your fork is waiting.
Brussels Sprout Slaw with Lemon Parmesan Vinaigrette
- 1 pound Brussels Sprouts trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts for added crunch (optional)
- Thinly slice/shred the Brussels sprouts using a food processor with the slicing blade Alternatively, slice them thinly with a sharp chef's knife. Place in a large bowl.
- Zest the lemon directly over the bowl. Next, drizzle the shaved Brussels with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss well, ideally using hands, to slightly "massage" the vinaigrette into the Brussels.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Toast pine nuts until golden brown, about 6-7 minutes. Add toasted pine nuts and parmesan to slaw and toss once more before serving,
How Long Can you Keep Brussels Slaw in the Refrigerator?This shaved Brussels sprouts slaw will last up to 3 days in the refrigerator stored in an air-tight container.
Can Other Nuts be Used as Garnish?Absolutely! If you don't have pine nuts on hand, almonds, cashews or peanuts would work great too.
Find more satisfying salad recipes on my Pinterest!