This raw cucumber zucchini salad with a lemon basil vinaigrette is a fun and healthy way to enjoy the fresh flavors of summer.
Every summer is farmers market heaven in West Michigan. On the weekends, I sneak out before my Kickboxing class so that I can beat the crowds and stroll the stands. The farmers pretty much know me as the crazy lady who takes photographs of their fruits and vegetables.
I mean, can you blame me? These heirloom tomatoes make my heart explode with happiness. I enjoy them all season long, perhaps with a little fresh goat cheese.
It’s also blueberry, peach, and cherry season which means my farmers market budget will be tripled for the next month or so!
Fortunately, there is one vegetable that remains affordable and plentiful: the incredible zucchini. At 3 for $1.00, I buy them by the truckload each week. Not only are they easy on the wallet, but they are easy on the waistline and extremely versatile.
My Zucchini Carrot Ribbon Salad with Lemon Basil Vinaigrette is a fresh raw and tangy salad. The Dijon mustard gives it a little kick in the background that pairs perfectly with the fragrant basil and spicy arugula.
Your fork is waiting.
Zucchini Cucumber Salad
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium cucumber
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 juice of lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil minced
- 1 teaspoon dijon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- In the bottom of a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon basil vinaigrette: lemon juice through pepper.
- Trim both ends of the zucchini and use a vegetable peeler to create long, wide ribbons. I find that it’s easiest to place the zucchini flat on a cutting board and peel the vegetable horizontally.
- Repeat the same process with a cucumber and place both the zucchini and cucumber ribbons in the bowl on top of the vinaigrette.
- Add arugula and cherry tomatoes to the bowl and toss well until vegetables are evenly coated with the vinaigrette. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
Want more delicious salad recipes? Check out my Pinterest board!