Ready in just 5 minutes, these lemon garlic Brussels sprouts are steamed until tender then tossed in a vinaigrette creating the ultimate healthy and delicious side dish recipe.
Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite vegetables to serve at dinner, or even steam really quick for an afternoon snack! And while they seem to get a bad rap among younger kids, mine have always enjoyed them, so we eat them often. While there are endless ways to elevate the flavor of these nutritional powerhouses, I love making a simple lemon garlic vinaigrette with olive oil and a pinch of chili flakes. It takes hardly any time at all, letting me focus on the main dish, but adds the nutrients my family needs for a well-balanced meal.
- Brussels sprouts: To make things even easier, I’ll buy a package of Brussels sprouts that steam in the bag. But you could use frozen, or raw from the produce section as well!
- Lemon juice: Fresh, acidic, and bright flavor that cuts through some of the bitterness that Brussels sprouts can have. Throw in some lemon zest as well for an even stronger citric punch!
- Olive oil: Blends with the lemon juice to create a wonderful sauce. You could also use butter, but I like the lighter option of olive oil.
- Garlic: Pungent, sharp, nutty flavor that goes well with basically everything.
How to Make Steamed Lemon Garlic Brussels Sprouts
Start your lemon garlic Brussels sprouts by steaming your Brussels sprouts according to the package instructions. If you’re using raw Brussels sprouts, place them in a steamer basket and fill a pot with about an inch of water. Place the basket in the pot and bring to a boil, then steam for about 7 minutes. While Brussels sprouts are cooking, make your vinaigrette by juicing your lemon into a large bowl.
Then use a microplane to grate your garlic in with the lemon juice.
Drizzle in the olive oil.
And finish with a pinch of salt. If you like a kick of heat, you could also add some red pepper flakes as well!
Whisk it all together until fully combined.
Take your cooked Brussels sprouts and add them to the bowl. Toss until evenly coated in the vinaigrette.
Serve garnished with fresh scallions, and enjoy your steamed lemon garlic Brussels sprouts!
Shake Things Up
- Add some protein. Throw in some bacon bits for a bit of added protein and yummy flavor!
- Swap the veggie. You could try this vinaigrette on other steamed vegetables as well. Like green beans, asparagus, or broccoli!
- Increase the flavor. Try adding some balsamic vinegar to the vinaigrette, or top them with some parmesan cheese!
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do you steam Brussel sprouts for?
If you’re steaming fresh Brussels sprouts not from a package, put them in in a steamer basket for about 6-8 minutes, or until fork tender and bright green.
What other ways can I cook brussels sprouts besides steaming?
I also love to roast brussels sprouts in the oven or grill them in a basket which makes them nice and crispy.
How do you steam vegetables without a steamer?
If you have a large pot that will fit a colander or strainer without it touching the bottom, you can use the colander as a steamer basket!
Complimentary Main Dishes
- Za’atar Spiced Grilled Chicken
- Coffee Crusted Flank Steak
- Healthy Turkey Meatloaf with Rosemary
- Lemon Pepper Chicken
- Easy Roasted Spice-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin
Eat It, Like It, Share It!
Did you try this recipe and like it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your dish.
Whether you want a healthy, quick snack or a tasty and nutritional side for dinner, my Steamed Lemon Garlic Brussels Sprouts fit the bill.
Your fork is waiting.
Steamed Lemon Garlic Brussels Sprouts
- 15 ounce bag Birds Eye Steamfresh Brussel Sprouts (or equivalent like something from Trader Joe's)
- ¼ cup lemon juice ((about 1 lemon))
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (grated)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch chili flakes (optional garnish)
- minced scallions (optional garnish)
- Prepare the Brussels sprouts in the microwave according to package instructions, without any added seasoning.
- While the Brussels are cooking in the microwave, whisk together the lemon garlic vinaigrette in a medium bowl: lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and chili flakes (if using).
- Add the cooked Brussels sprouts to the bowl and toss well. Sprinkle with scallions if you wish to serve.