Roasted beets are easier to make than you think! My simple recipe creates tender, sweet beets with a hint of fresh rosemary and orange in the background.Roasted beets have a special place in my heart. Believe it or not, my very first blog post involved roasted beets: Beets and Wheat Berries Make Me Happy. What can I say? I love beets and I wanted to tell the world.
The truth is, so many people think they hate beets because they’ve only been exposed to bland, lifeless canned or boiled versions. I challenge anyone who thinks they don’t like beets to try this recipe before making a final decision.
When you roast beets, you allow the natural sugars to caramelize and become sweet. Similar to the mellow flavor of roasted garlic, roasted beets become creamy and delicious with very little effort.
Fresh orange juice and fragrant rosemary are thrown in the pan along with a little olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt before everything heads into the oven. Then you just sit back and relax while the oven does the work!
Once you have roasted beets on hand, you can turn them into a million and one different recipes. Here are a few to get you started:
Roasted Beets with Edamame and Arugula – Oh My Veggies
Roasted Beet Biscuits – The View from Great Island
Roasted Beet, Arugula, Goat Cheese & Honey Crostini – Gimme Some Oven
Beet-Citrus Salad – An Edible Mosaic
One-Pot Beet, Rosemary & Kale Arborio Rice Pilaf – Cookin’ Canuck
Quinoa Salad with Roasted Beets – My Whole Food Life
Penne Pasta in a Roasted Beet Sauce – Bev Cooks
Ready to get started? Your fork is waiting.
Roasted Beets with Orange and Rosemary
- 1 bunch beets 4 large or 8 medium
- 1 in large orange cut half
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large pinch kosher salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees and line 8 x 8 baking dish with foil.
- Wash and trim the greens from the beets but leave the root in-tact as shown in photo.
- Place beets in the pan and cover with juice of one orange, rosemary sprigs, olive oil, large pinch kosher salt and a few turns of a black pepper mill.
- Leave the orange halves in the pan and cover tightly with foil. Roast for 45 minutes or until beets are fork tender.
- Let cool completely before removing foil.
- To serve, carefully remove skin with hands (should peel right off) and slice into bite-sized pieces.