Roasted beets are easier to make than you think! My simple recipe creates tender, sweet beets with a hint of fresh rosemary and orange in the background.
Roasted beets have a special place in my heart. Believe it or not, my very first blog post involved roasted beets: Beets and Wheat Berries Make Me Happy. What can I say? I love beets and I wanted to tell the world.
The truth is, so many people think they hate beets because they’ve only been exposed to bland, lifeless canned or boiled versions. I challenge anyone who thinks they don’t like beets to try this recipe before making a final decision.
When you roast beets, you allow the natural sugars to caramelize and become sweet. Similar to the mellow flavor of roasted garlic, roasted beets become creamy and delicious with very little effort.
Fresh orange juice and fragrant rosemary are thrown in the pan along with a little olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt before everything heads into the oven. Then you just sit back and relax while the oven does the work!
Ready to get started? Your fork is waiting.
Roasted Beets with Orange and Rosemary
- 1 bunch beets (4 large or 8 medium)
- 1 in large orange (cut half)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large pinch kosher salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees and line 8 x 8 baking dish with foil.
- Wash and trim the greens from the beets but leave the root in-tact as shown in photo.
- Place beets in the pan and cover with juice of one orange, rosemary sprigs, olive oil, large pinch kosher salt and a few turns of a black pepper mill.
- Leave the orange halves in the pan and cover tightly with foil. Roast for 45 minutes or until beets are fork tender.
- Let cool completely before removing foil.
- To serve, carefully remove skin with hands (should peel right off) and slice into bite-sized pieces.
50 thoughts on “Roasted Beets with Orange and Rosemary”
I still think that it’s more like oven braising than roasted (liquid, foil) but heck yeah I love roasted beets. I also love beets with oranges, so the addition of an orange is brilliant in my book.
You’re totally right! Although I will say, the orange never gives it THAT much juice but yea I think it’s definitely more like braising especially with the foil over it!!
Beets and citrus are a match made in heaven — thanks for the shout-out!
I LOVE beets! My husband says they taste like dirt… but that’s kind of the reason why I love them. GO BEETS!
That’s funny I think that’s why I like them too!!
Little effort. High flavor. I don’t think it gets much better. Love!
Exactly my plan!! haha
I love beets and the orange and rosemary is a brilliant combo!
Thanks so much Meredith!
I love beets! Thanks for sharing. Can’t wait to give this a try. I’m in love with golden and candy cane beets too.
I hope you like them!