These healthy and delicious homemade baked egg rolls are filled with a fragrant mixture of pork and vegetables and baked until crispy. You’d never know they aren’t deep fried!
My boys absolutely LOVE Chinese egg rolls. However, they are often deep-fried and extremely high in fat and calories.
My solution? A crispy oven-baked egg roll filled with a fragrant mixture of pork, cabbage, and carrots seasoned with ginger and garlic.
I’m able to sneak in another serving of vegetables without my kids knowing any better because I pack the filling with tons of crunchy veggies and Asian flavors.
To finish it off, I whip up a 2-minute sweet soy dipping sauce. No creepy artificial colors or ingredients. I just use a few basic Asian pantry ingredients you probably already have on hand.
Are you looking for a different egg roll recipe? Check out my Baked Vegetable Egg Rolls with Bacon.
No forks required.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes, these can be frozen but need to be baked first.
Yes. With a mist of cooking spray, they can have that deep-fried taste without the calories.
Coconut amino’s is a great change out for soy sauce
By lightly brushing the egg rolls with melted butter before tossing them in the oven, they turn out crunchy and crispy – just like you’d expect. While this recipe might seem complicated, you won’t believe how easy egg rolls are to make at home!
Crispy Oven Baked Egg Rolls
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons chili paste such as Sambal Oelek, optional
- 2 tablespoons ginger minced
- 1 cup cabbage shredded
- 1 cup carrot grated
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 16 egg roll wrappers
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Cook ground pork until browned, about 7-9 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper, onion, garlic, chili paste and ginger; cook additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add grated cabbage and carrots to the mixture, along with soy sauce and rice vinegar. Cook an additional 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cook slightly for about 10 minutes.
- While the mixture is cooling, prepare soy dipping sauce by whisking together all ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- To assemble, lay egg roll wrapper on a clean surface and place ¼ cup of the filling in the center of the wrapper. Brush water along all four borders of the wrapper then begin rolling like a burrito: start with the bottom and fold over the meat mixture then fold the right and left sides over before finishing to roll tightly.
- Place on the baking sheet, seam side down and repeat until all wrappers are filled. Brush each with melted butter.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 15-20 minutes, rotating the pan once halfway through. Serve with dipping sauce.
Can these be frozen, and if they can, do you freeze before or after baking?Yes – freeze AFTER baking
Can these be cooked in an air fryer?Yes.
Want more delicious recipes? Check out my Pinterest Board!