These healthy and delicious homemade egg rolls are filled with a fragrant mixture of pork and vegetables then baked until crispy. You’d never know they aren’t deep fried!
My boys absolutely LOVE Chinese egg rolls but as we know, this restaurant favorite is deep fried making it extremely high in fat and calories.
My solution? These crispy oven baked egg rolls filled with a fragrant mixture of pork, cabbage and carrots seasoned with ginger and garlic.
By packing the filling with tons of crunchy veggies and Asian flavors, I’m able to sneak in another serving of vegetables without my kids knowing any better.
By lightly brushing the egg rolls with melted butter before tossing them in the oven, they turn out crunchy and crispy – just like you’d expect. While this recipe might seem complicated, you won’t believe how easy egg rolls are to make at home!
To finish it off, I whip up a 2 minute sweet soy dipping sauce. No creepy artificial colors or ingredients required – just a few basic Asian pantry ingredients you probably already have on hand.
No forks required.
Crispy Oven Baked Egg Rolls
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons chili paste such as Sambal Oelek, optional
- 2 tablespoons ginger minced
- 1 cup cabbage shredded
- 1 cup carrot grated
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 16 egg roll wrappers
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Cook ground pork until browned, about 7-9 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper, onion, garlic, chili paste and ginger; cook additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add grated cabbage and carrots to the mixture, along with soy sauce, and cook additional 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cook slightly, about 10 minutes.
- While the mixture is cooling, prepare soy dipping sauce by whisking together all ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- To assemble, lay egg roll wrapper on a clean surface and place 1/4 cup of the filling in the center of the wrapper. Brush water along all four borders of the wrapper then begin rolling like a burrito: start with the bottom and fold over the meat mixture then fold the right and left sides over before finishing to roll tightly. Place on the baking sheet, seam side down, and repeat until all wrappers are filled.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 15-20 minutes, rotating the pan once halfway through. Serve with dipping sauce.
Recipe by The Lemon Bowl // Photography by Alejandro Photography
Want more delicious recipes? Check out my Pinterest Board!