Traditional Chinese hot pots are cooked at the table, so this hearty slow-cooker stew technically doesn’t count. Nevertheless, the flavors are inspired by a hot pot, and this countertop version is easy and delicious.
Having spent 25 years of my life in Michigan and 9 years in New England, it goes without saying that pure maple syrup is a staple in our kitchen. From an early age, I was introduced to fresh maple syrup during a school field trip to a local nature center. In the end we all were handed little spoonfuls of warm, fresh maple syrup. That deep, pure flavor and rich aroma is one I’ll never forget.
In my late-twenties when I was in the middle of my weight loss journey, I vowed to give up all artificial sweeteners and rely on more natural, less processed ways to sweeten my foods. When you stick to real food like pure, rich, amber maple syrup, it’s amazing little you need to add flavor to a dish. Flavor, not sweetness. There’s a difference.
Needless to say, my heart was filled with joy when my friend Katie Webster announced that she was creating a complete cookbook dedicated to all things maple. Her book, Maple, is filled with mouth-watering recipes from front to back including Maple Whole Wheat Pizza Dough, Chicken, Peanut, and Napa Cabbage Pad Thai, Maple Morning Glory Muffins and so much more.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Thigh Hot Pot is a perfectly balanced dish of salty, sour, sweet and slightly spicy flavors. Chinese five-spice powder and ground ginger add an incredible aroma to this warm and soul-satisfying dish you’ll be making again and again for your family.
Be sure to pick up a copy of Katie’s cookbook Maple today!
Your spoon is waiting.
Slow Cooker Chicken Thigh Hot Pot
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil or organic canola oil
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs fat trimmed
- 1 large Spanish onion diced
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- ½ teaspoon ground dried ginger
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- ½ cup dry sherry
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup dark maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium wheat free tamari or reduced-sodium
- soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup large-diced carrots
- 1 cup large-diced peeled celeriac
- 1 cup large chunks peeled yellow potato
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat. Add chicken thighs and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, until browned. Flip and brown other sides. Remove skillet from heat and transfer chicken to a large slow cooker.
- Return the skillet to medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms, and garlic and cook, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes until onion is softened. Add five-spice powder, ginger, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring 30 to 90 seconds, until fragrant. Add sherry and cook, scraping up any browned bits, 30 to 90 seconds, until mixture comes to boil and sherry is reduced by one half.
- Transfer onion mixture to the slow cooker. Add broth, syrup, tamari, and vinegar and stir to combine. Place carrots, celeriac and potato on top (do not stir.) Cover and cook for 4 hours on low. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions and serve.
It’s that time of year again! Fall is the perfect time to try out some Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes!