Lean chicken breasts are slowly cooked in a flavorful sauce made with tomato paste, coconut milk, ginger, and garam masala to create a lightened up version of the popular Indian dish, chicken tikka masala.
Why is Indian food so delicious? Oh wait, I know. Because most of our favorite dishes made in Indian American restaurants are full of butter and heavy cream. Dangit!!
Fortunately, I’ve found a way to boost up the flavor with low calorie, high impact ingredients such as fresh ginger, garam masala (an Indian spice blend) and light coconut milk.
While chicken tikka masala is often made with chicken thighs, I find that slow cooking the lean chicken breasts makes them completely juicy and tender.
Plain yogurt is added for added tenderization and tanginess (plus a hefty boost of protein and calcium!)
Can I Leave Out the Yogurt? Absolutely – you can just use the coconut milk no need to add anything.
What Type of Coconut Milk Should I Use? I like to use Thai style light coconut milk in a can. You can also use full-fat Thai style coconut milk. Just be sure you’re using Thai style coconut milk not the processed coconut milk in the vegan milk section.
To serve, be sure to whip up a quick batch of Cucumber Yogurt Raita, a cool and delicious cucumber yogurt sauce that helps balance the richness of the dish.
Fun Fact: if you used the full amount of cayenne to make the dish a bit spicy, the yogurt sauce in the cucumber raita will help combat the heat, unlike water which only exacerbates the burn.
Can I Make This Recipe on the Stove Top? Yes absolutely! The entire dish should cook in about 45-60 minutes.
Of course, if cilantro isn’t your thing, simply leave it out at the end but I am 100% team cilantro so there is never enough garnish on my dish.
Your fork is waiting.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts - cubed
- 1 medium onion diced
- 15 ounces coconut milk Thai Style - light
- 1 cup low fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger root
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne optional
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro optional garnish
- cucumber raita and brown rice to serve yogurt sauce
- Place cubed chicken breasts and diced onion in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut milk, yogurt, tomato paste, ginger, garlic, garam masala, cornstarch, salt and cayenne. Pour mixture over the chicken and onion and stir well.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours. Serve with brown rice and cucumber raita on the side.