Loaded with health benefits and requires only five ingredients, this Slow cooker cranberry sauce is the perfect make-ahead side dish for your table.
We were never a big cranberry sauce family growing up and to be honest, after seeing creepy images of the plum colored gel sliding out of a can and being sliced (??!), I never felt deprived.
As I became more interested in health and nutrition, I’ve learned that cranberries are bursting in health benefits so I wanted to create an easy, fresher, less-sweet version of the holiday staple.
Health Benefits of Cranberries:
- Phytonutrients: Whole cranberries are an excellent source of flavonoids and other phytonutrients which are more powerful in their whole form (vs juice.)
- Anti-Inflammatory: Love the gorgeous color? You can thank anthocyanins, a powerful phytonutrient found in cranberries which, along with others, help reduce the risk of unwanted inflammation.
- Digestive Track Benefits: Cranberries have been shown to help ward off everything from stomach ulcers to colon cancer to periodontal disease.
The verdict: I am completely blown away at how easy and flavorful cranberry sauce is when made from scratch. Skill level required? Zero. Simply add a few ingredients into a crock pot and walk away.
Make extra to stir into oatmeal, sweeten Greek yogurt, blend into smoothies and more.
Your family is waiting.
Slow Cooker Cranberry Sauce
- 12 oz bag fresh cranberries rinsed
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon orange zest optional
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- Place all ingredients into a slow cooker and cook on Low heat for 3 hours.
- Using a wooden spoon, gently mash the cranberries until desired consistency is reached.
Check out my Pinterest board for more healthy side dish recipes!