A protein-packed breakfast recipe, these maple and fennel infused breakfast sausage patties are made with lean ground turkey breast and are naturally gluten free.
For whatever reason, I’ve always craved meat and salt more than carbs and sugar. Move over bagels and donuts, pass the sausage and eggs!
In an effort to keep my body fueled for my morning workouts and busy days chasing around little boys, I like to start the day with a high protein, low carb breakfast. While I almost always have eggs around, I had been itching to create my own homemade turkey breakfast sausage patties.
Made with slightly toasted fennel seeds and just a bit of pure maple syrup, these breakfast sausage patties couldn’t be easier to make. Not only are they way more flavorful than anything I’ve purchased in a package but they are a lot more affordable when you make them yourself. Plus, you get to control the quality of ingredients which is always important to me.
Your fork is waiting.
Turkey Breakfast Sausage
- 20 ounces ground turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (or black pepper to keep mild)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat a small pan over medium-heat and gently toast fennel seeds until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Coarsely grind seeds using mortar and pestle (or back of your spoon on a cutting board.)
- In a medium bowl, combine crushed fennel seeds with ground turkey, maple syrup, salt and cayenne. Mix well then form into eight small, round patties.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry patties for 3-4 minutes per side or until turkey is cooked through. Serve warm.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
Check out my healthy breakfast Pinterest board for more ideas!