This warm and comforting turkey soup is loaded with hearty vegetables and quinoa. Ideal for using up leftover turkey, this soup recipe is naturally gluten free and high-protein!
We hosted our very first Thanksgiving this year which was particularly special since it’s also our first holiday season in the new house! To celebrate, my husband went a little crazy and ordered a 32 pound bird. Needless to say, we have a lot of leftover turkey to enjoy.
Whenever I have leftover protein, be it turkey, chicken, pork or beef, I love finding creative ways to turn it into a new healthy recipe. Soup is an ideal way to use up leftovers because you can truly use whatever meat and vegetables you have on hand. For added flavor, I’ve added lemon juice, garlic and cinnamon to this heart turkey vegetable soup.
For even more protein, fiber and nutrients, I use cooked quinoa instead of the traditional egg noodles. This not only makes the soup naturally gluten free but it results in a high-protein meal that will keep you fueled and satisfied for hours. Pro Tip: Make a double batch to freeze for a busy day another time.
Your spoon is waiting.
Turkey Vegetable Soup with Quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 8 ounces shredded cooked turkey breast or rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat and drizzle in the olive oil. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the onions, peppers, carrots and zucchini then season with salt, pepper and cinnamon. Sauté until vegetables are tender, about 7-9 minutes.
- Pour in the lemon juice and chicken broth then bring pot to a boil. Add in cooked shredded turkey breasts and cooked quinoa then bring to a boil once again. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes. Check for seasoning and add additional salt and pepper to taste before serving.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
Check out more healthy soup recipes on my Pinterest board!