These light and flavorful Vietnamese lettuce wraps are filled with BBQ pork meatballs, crunchy vegetables and fresh herbs.
You guys know how much I love Vietnamese food. I grew up eating Vietnamese food once a week with my family which is why, to this day, I regularly cook Vietnamese food at home.
One of my favorite dishes growing up and eating at Mr. Lee’s Vietnamese restaurant are BBQ pork meatballs. Made with fish sauce, sugar, garlic and shallots, they are delicious served over white rice, wrapped in rice paper or served in lettuce cups.
To keep it low carb and high protein, I decided to turn those sweet and salty BBQ pork meatballs into lettuce cups. To serve, I add carrots, cucumber, cabbage, and fresh herbs. Of course, use whatever you have on hand.
To serve, I whisk up a quick batch of Vietnamese dipping sauce also known as Nuac Chom. This sweet, salty, sour and spicy dipping sauce is made with fish sauce, lime juice, garlic, and chili paste, It’s addictive!
Ideal for entertaining or a busy weeknight dinner, I promise these Vietnamese BBQ Pork Meatball Lettuce Cups will be gobbled up in no time.
No forks required.
Vietnamese Lettuce Wraps with BBQ Pork Meatballs
BBQ Pork Meatballs
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 shallot finely minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon pepper
Dipping Sauce (Nuac Chom)
- 1 head Bibb lettuce leaves separated
- 1 cup red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup fresh herbs such as cilantro, basil, Thai basil, mint, etc.
- rice noodles optional
- In a large bowl, mix together pork meatballs (ground pork through pepper) and shape into evenly sized small meatballs using a small cookie scoop or large spoon. Heat grill or broiler on high heat and cook meatballs about 4 minutes per side or until nicely browned; remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk together dipping sauce in a small bowl; set aside.
- Set ingredients on a large plate or platter including lettuce cups, meatballs, veggies and herbs. Let guests assemble wraps as they wish.
Find more healthy appetizer recipes on my Pinterest today!