Today’s recipe is inspired by my beautiful mother’s classic fruit salad with honey yogurt dressing. We grew up eating plain yogurt (never artificially sweetened) so my mom would often add honey and vanilla to sweeten it for fruit salads. Simple, delicious, full of protein and a good source of calcium. And that’s before you even add the fruit!
Now that I have a child of my own, it is exciting to create new family recipes to share with my little guy. Fresh fruit, particularly berries, almost always taste better with grated ginger root and lemon zest. The spiciness of the ginger and the brightness of the lemon are the perfect complement to the sweet, ripe berries and melon we found at the market this weekend. And yes, that is yellow watermelon in the photo! If you find locally grown pineapple in Michigan, let me know. 😉
No forks require with this one.
- 12 wooden skewers
- ½ c blueberries
- 1 c watermelon - diced (yellow show above)
- ¼ c raspberries
- ½ c plain yogurt - low fat
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp fresh ginger - grated
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbs fresh mint - minced
- honey to sweeten - optional
- In a small bowl, whisk together ginger lemon yogurt sauce by combining all ingredients listed. We skipped the honey since our fruit is very ripe (and our little guy can't have honey yet) but feel free to add it if you need the sweetness.
- Create fruit kabobs on wooden skewers in any order you wish. Get the kids involved - this is fun!
- Plate kabobs on a platter and drizzle with yogurt sauce to serve.