These chewy Oatmeal Raisin Granola Bars are the ideal lunchbox treat or after school snack.
As a mom of two young children and a healthy recipe developer, I am constantly asked for nutritious kid-friendly meal ideas. The truth is, I didn’t grow up eating “kid food” and as a result, neither will my children. My kids eat what the adults eat and as a result, their food gets the same attention to flavor, ingredients, and spices as mine.
With back to school season in full force, there is always a renewed interest in getting back in the kitchen to prepare food that will give our kids the energy they need to get through busy school days. If you have ever struggled with preparing healthy lunches for your kids, you MUST pick up a copy of my friend Laura’s new cookbook, The Best Homemade Kids’ Lunches on the Planet.
Her book is full of simple, affordable and TASTY ideas that are ideal for the lunchbox. Even if you don’t have school-aged kids at home, these lunch ideas are ideal for children and adults of all ages. Personally, I can’t wait to try the Smashed Chickpea Sandwich and Baked Raviolis!
I couldn’t resist sharing one recipe from the book with all of you so I decided to share these Oatmeal Raisin Granola Bars. Packed with whole grain goodness and just the right amount of sweetness, these homemade granola bars are ideal for brown bag lunches, after school snacking or just stashing in your diaper bag for later.
With over 200 delicious lunches your kids will love, I can’t recommend this book enough!
What do your kids love to eat in their school lunches?? Let me know in the comments below – I would love to hear new ideas!
No forks required.
Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Bars
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons heaping raisins
- ¼ cup butter or coconut oil
- ¼ cup brown rice syrup
- ¼ cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Line an 8 x 8-inch or 9 x 9-inch baking pan or glass baking dish with parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix the oats, cereal, salt and raisins. Set aside.
- In a small pot, melt the butter, syrup and brown sugar. When it starts to boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook for 4 minutes, making sure the mixture continues to minimally bubble while siring often. Turn off the heat and add the vanilla.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients, and mix well to combine all ingredients. Place the mixture into the baking dish. Cover with parchment paper, and press down with your hands until the mix is well packed. (Just when you think you’ve pressed down enough- press some more!)
- Allow the pan to cool at room temperature for at least 2 hours. Lift parchment paper out onto a cutting board and slice into 12 bars. After cutting the bars, store in an airtight container or ziplock bag for up to 1 week.