The hectic holiday season and everyday life as a busy work-at-home mother of a toddler practically begs for easy and delicious slow cooker recipes. If you accidentally had cookies for breakfast, lentil soup will give you a hefty dose of much needed protein, fiber and nutrients.
Smoky bacon, fire roasted tomatoes and smoked paprika all provide richness and depth of flavor without many additional calories. As always, make it your own! Diced white or sweet potatoes would be a great addition to make it a bit heartier. Don’t have any fire roasted tomatoes? Regular diced or whole peeled work just fine. Want to dial down the heat? Skip the chili pepper flakes.
The best part? The slow cooker does all of the work so that you can get back to baking cookies. Or testing that fudge for poison….again
Your spoon is waiting.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 2 cups
- Calories: 172
- Fat: 1.9 g
- Saturated fat: .5 g
- Unsaturated fat: 1.4 g
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 34.1 g
- Sugar: 7.4 g
- Sodium: 470 mg
- Fiber: 11.8 g
- Protein: 13.3 g
- Cholesterol: 4 mg
- 2 slices bacon – thinly sliced
- 1 cup lentils – rinsed and sorted
- 2 celery stalks – diced
- 2 carrots – diced
- 1 medium onion – diced
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 32 oz chicken broth – low sodium
- fresh chopped parsley – optional garnish
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat, cook bacon slices until brown and crispy then remove from pan and set on a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
- Add all ingredients including the cooked bacon to the slow cooker and heat on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- Serve with fresh chopped parsley.