Warm curry flavors and coconut milk add flavor and moisture to lean chicken breasts to make this Slow Cooker Chicken Curry recipe an authentic one-pot dish.
When it comes to preparing moist and delicious dishes using lean, boneless skinless breasts I’ve learned that the slow cooker is your friend! By locking in the moisture and cooking the meat slowly, you always end up with tender and juicy chicken without relying on fat, oil or extra calories from the skin.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m pretty thrilled that grilling season has finally arrived but the truth is when it is sweltering hot out, sometimes it is nice to cook dinner inside. The slow cooker is a great alternative to the stove and oven because it doesn’t heat up your kitchen and house. (Anyone else live with an A/C control freak husband? No? Oh…)
This dish is extremely versatile. Of course, there’s always the vegetarian version full of delicious veggies like cauliflower and Brussels. Don’t have sweet potatoes on hand? Butternut squash would be a great substitute. Want to use chicken thighs instead? Be my guest – they are full of flavor. Want to douse it in sriracha before serving? By all means.
💭 Secrets to a good chicken curry
- Full fat Thai style coconut milk
- Chicken stock
- Using fresh spices in your pantry. If the spices in your pantry are more than a few years old then I would suggest replacing.
- Good quality curry powder
- Peas (or or another diced vegetable)
- Cilantro to boost flavor
🐓 Types of chicken used:
While I prefer lean chicken breasts you can use Chicken thighs or any type of dark meat. The darker meats will boost the flavor.
Is chicken curry freezer friendly?
How to reduce sodium in chicken curry:
Just look for chicken with low sodium and buy low sodium canned products. You can also use dried chickpeas instead of canned.
📖 Ingredient substitution options:
- You can make substitutions on this dish. If you’re not a fan of sweet potatoes I’d suggest trying a different potato or Brussels sprouts.
- Curry paste can be subbed out for curry powder but would suggest doubling
- Canned tomatoes do not have to be used. If you have crushed tomatoes those will work equally as well.
Using the stovetop to prepare over the slowcooker
If you don’t own a slow cooker no worries! You can make it on the stovetop very easily! Just Saute the chicken and vegetables then add the liquid ingredients and let simmer for 45-60 minutes.
How spicy is this dish?
This is not considered to be a spicy dish.
Meatless alternative to chicken:
If you’re looking for a vegetarian option of this dish you’re in luck! Here is my Slow Cooker Vegetarian Curry.
Your fork is waiting.
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
- 6 Quart Slow Cooker
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 15 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk light
- 1/2 cup chicken stock low sodium
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons curry powder salt-free
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder optional
- 1 cup green peas frozen
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- cilantro optional garnish
- In the bottom of the slow cooker, whisk together coconut milk, chicken stock, tomato sauce, curry powder, salt and cayenne.
- Add chicken breasts, onion, chickpeas and sweet potatoes. Using tongs, gently toss ingredients together to ensure evenly coated.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- Stir in peas and lemon juice 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve over rice and with plenty of fresh cilantro.
Want more tasty ideas? Pin with me!