Warm curry flavors and coconut milk add flavor and moisture to lean chicken breasts to make this Slow Cooker Chicken Curry recipe an authentic one pot dish.
When it comes to preparing moist and delicious dishes using lean, boneless skinless breasts I’ve learned the that the slow cooker is your friend! By locking in the moisture and cooking the meat slowly, you always end up with tender and juicy chicken without relying on fat, oil or extra calories from the skin.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m pretty thrilled that grilling season has finally arrived but the truth is when it is sweltering hot out, sometimes it is nice to cook dinner inside. The slow cooker is a great alternative to the stove and oven because it doesn’t heat up your kitchen and house. (Anyone else live with an A/C control freak husband? No? Oh…)
This dish is extremely versatile. Of course, there’s always the vegetarian version full of delicious veggies like cauliflower and Brussels. Don’t have sweet potatoes on hand? Butternut squash would be a great substitute. Want to use chicken thighs instead? Be my guest – they are full of flavor. Want to douse it in sriracha before serving? By all means.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do I have to use white meat?
No. You can can use Chicken thighs or any type of dark meat.
Is the dish freezer friendly?
How do I reduce the sodium count?
Just look for chicken with low sodium and buy low sodium canned products. You can also use dried chickpeas instead of canned.
I’m not a fan of sweet potatoes. Do you have a suggestion on what I can swap this with?
You can replace with any other potato or perhaps another vegetable like Brussels?
Could I use curry paste instead of curry powder?
Yes. I would suggest doubling the amount of curry paste to powder.
Could I make this on a stovetop?
You can make it on the stove top very easily! Just Saute the chicken and vegetables then add the liquid ingredients and let simmer for 45-60 minutes.
I don’t have canned tomato sauce available. What can I use instead?
You can use crushed tomatoes.
Is this considered a spicy dish?
Is this dish freezer friendly?
Your fork is waiting.
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 15 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk light
- 1/2 cup chicken stock low sodium
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons curry powder salt-free
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder optional
- 1 cup green peas frozen
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- cilantro optional garnish
- In the bottom of the slow cooker, whisk together coconut milk, chicken stock, tomato sauce, curry powder, salt and cayenne.
- Add chicken breasts, onion, chickpeas and sweet potatoes. Using tongs, gently toss ingredients together to ensure evenly coated.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- Stir in peas and lemon juice 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve over rice and with plenty of fresh cilantro.
Want more tasty ideas? Pin with me!