Traditional Potato Latkes

Traditional potato latkes (pancakes) are the perfect dish to serve for Hanukkah or any day of the year!

Potato Latkes with Apple Cranberry Sauce - The Lemon Bowl

When Hanukkah rolls around every year, I have a hard time straying away from the traditional potato latke recipe passed down from my Papa Leo.

Potato Latkes - The Lemon BowlCrispy, salty, savory potato pancakes in all their glory – it doesn’t get any better than this, folks.

We top them simply with a little sour cream (or Greek yogurt) and apple sauce. That’s it. End of story.  There is nothing else needed – this is your one way ticket to latke perfection.

A few tips I’ve learned over the years:

1. Using a food processor with the grading attachment to shred the potatoes and onions will save you time and prevent bloody knuckles. Trust me on this one.Slow Cooker Cranberry Apple Sauce - The Lemon Bowl
  2. Squeeze out as much water as possible from the grated potatoes. Paper towel or a kitchen tower work really well. Keep squeezing until you can’t squeeze any more. Note: If using a food processor, do the potatoes separately from the onions so you can squeeze them. Onion juice = flavor. Potato water = soggy sadness.
  3. Make more than you think you’ll need. More than likely, you’ll only make these once a year. Go crazy and make a double batch.  Your family will thank you.
Traditional Potato Latkes

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Recipe type: Entree
Serves: 4
  • 4 russet potatoes - peeled and grated finely (water squeezed out)
  • 1 medium onion - grated finely
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ¼ cup matzo meal or more if needed
  • canola oil for frying
  • sour cream and apple sauce for serving
  1. Using a food processor or cheese grader, grate the potatoes and place in a bowl using a paper towel to remove excess water.
  2. Grate the onions then add to the potatoes.
  3. Add egg, salt and matzo meal to the potato/onion mixture and mix well with a fork. If mixture seems too watery, add more matzo meal.
  4. Heat 2-3 inches of oil over medium-high heat In a deep pan (or cast iron skillet). Add a drop of the potato mixture to test the heat of the oil. If it bubbles, it's ready!
  5. Using an ice cream scoop or large soup spoon, drop potato mixture in to the oil being careful not to over crowd the pan. Flatten the pancakes with a metal spatula to ensure even cooking.
  6. After 3-4 minutes, check for color and flip once browned on one side. Flatten again with the spatula and cook until browned on both sides.
  7. Lay cooked latkes on plate or baking sheet lined with paper towel to absorb excess oil.
  8. Continue working in batches until all of the potato mixture is gone.
  9. Serve with sour cream and apple sauce.
Keep potato latkes in oven heated to warm to keep hot until dinner is served.
Serving size: 4-5 Pancakes Calories: 720 Fat: 57.2g Saturated fat: 4.2g Unsaturated fat: 53g Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 47.8g Sugar: 2.8g Sodium: 610mg Fiber: 3.8g Protein: 7.1g Cholesterol: 45mg

Comments

Thats exactly the ratios I use when I make my potato latkes, except I don’t use any matzah meal. Russet potatoes are the best when making latkes!

These latkes look amazing!

I wish donuts had no calories. Specifically caramel donuts with chocolate glaze. Or maybe custard donuts. Or cinnamon twist donuts. Ok, skip that. Any donut. All donuts. Just donuts!

Can you tell I hate dieting on Hanukkah??

3. Rochel S says

Donuts. definitely donuts. :) Just got a mini deep fryer and it was so easy to make fresh donuts and even easier to eat them up!

4. jacquie says

latkes would be right up there – any kind of veggie fried up latke style actually …. the possibilites are really endless.

5. Helen says

This is tough, because I love fried foods! Probably Krispy Kreme raised glazed. These don’t present a problem to me now because there aren’t any in the state I live in, but if I come across one……

6. faigy says

I don’t eat too many fried food, but topping the list are latkas and doughnuts – so if I could have them without the calories? Yum!

These are basically the latkes we made, although I made a quadruple batch. I freeze them and then serve them throughout the year.

And although I don’t really like fried foods, I would be OK with these having no calories for my once a year dinner.

8. Fonda says

Potato latkes and sufganiot… but the smell of fried food is permeating in our apartment. Aside from opening all the windows while frying, any other ideas to clear the air, lest the odor/aroma will linger long after Chanukah is gone… when I’ll need to start my diet!

9. CindyZS says

i just love latkes! great recipe. if u dont have a food processor, u can use a blender. growing up in a household of 9 many hands to help. in my late 20s my kids helped, then i got carpel tunnel in both hands and by 30 & 40’s just couldnt grate it anymore. plus my mom who is 25 years older than me, neither one of us good grate anymore :( well i didnt want to give up on this great food so i came up with a blender and tadah!! problem solved. home it helps for others.

1. […] Cumin Nechamah from TIforOA Food Ideas made Healthy Oatmeal Latkes Liz from The Lemon Bowl made Traditional Potato Latkes Melanie from From Fast Food to Fresh Food made (I Can’t Believe They’re Crispy!) Baked […]