Once you see how easy it is to make a rich and creamy Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino at home you’ll never miss the fat and calories you’re saving.
Coffee and chocolate are a flavor match made in heaven which is why it is no surprise that the Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino is so popular. Cool, creamy, rich and chocolately – what’s not to love?
Confession: I’ve never actually ordered a Frappuccino at Starbucks before. While there are many unhealthy foods I can’t resist, Frappuccinos fall into my “off limits” category which means I never order them. The same can be said for a McDonald’s Big Mac, General Tso’s Chicken at a mall food court or a donut from Dunkin’ Donuts.
It all goes back to my 80’s childhood during the fat-free craze followed by my overweight adolescence in the 90’s/00’s. I didn’t grow up eating these heavy foods so to eat them now would pretty much be a guaranteed stomach ache. Psychologically, consuming them would immediately bring me to a dark place so for these reasons, I avoid them.
The fact is, I’ve worked too hard to achieve weight loss success and I’ve also learned a lot about making smarter food choices over the years. By using ingredients I can pronounce such as cocoa powder, half and half and strong coffee plus a few drops of my favorite chocolate stevia, I end up with a frothy, decadent frozen drink that is sheer perfection. If you don’t have liquid stevia, honey or pure maple syrup work just as well.
Your straw is waiting.
- 2 cups strong brewed coffee, chilled
- ¼ cup half and half (or almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 14 drops chocolate stevia or sweetener of choice (ie honey, maple syrup, etc.)
- pinch sea salt
- whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings - optional garnish
- Combine coffee, half and half, cocoa powder, vanilla, stevia and salt in a blender. Puree until smooth about 30-60 seconds.
- Add a scoop or two of ice and puree for additional 45-60 seconds on high.
- Pour into a glass and garnish with whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings.
Stevia has no calories so if you swap with honey or another sweetener please note that the calorie total will increase a bit.