Healthy Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino Recipe

Once you see how easy it is to make a rich and creamy Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino at home you’ll never miss the fat and calories you’re saving.
Healthy Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino - The Lemon BowlCoffee and chocolate are a flavor match made in heaven which is why it is no surprise that the Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino is so popular. Cool, creamy, rich and chocolately – what’s not to love?

Confession: I’ve never actually ordered a Frappuccino at Starbucks before. While there are many unhealthy foods I can’t resist, Frappuccinos fall into my “off limits” category which means I never order them. The same can be said for a McDonald’s Big Mac, General Tso’s Chicken at a mall food court or a donut from Dunkin’ Donuts.

Healthy Mocha Frappuccino Recipe and Calorie Comparison - The Lemon BowlIt all goes back to my 80′s childhood during the fat-free craze followed by my overweight adolescence in the 90′s/00′s. I didn’t grow up eating these heavy foods so to eat them now would pretty much be a guaranteed stomach ache. Psychologically, consuming them would immediately bring me to a dark place so for these reasons, I avoid them.

Healthy Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino in Glass - The Lemon BowlThe fact is, I’ve worked too hard to achieve weight loss success and I’ve also learned a lot about making smarter food choices over the years. By using ingredients I can pronounce such as cocoa powder, half and half and strong coffee plus a few drops of my favorite chocolate stevia, I end up with a frothy, decadent frozen drink that is sheer perfection. If you don’t have liquid stevia, honey or pure maple syrup work just as well.

Your straw is waiting.

Healthy Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino

• Serving size: 16 oz
  • Saturated fat: 2.6 g
  • Unsaturated fat: 1.6 g
  • Carbohydrates: 6.8 g
  • Sugar: 2 g
  • Fiber: 1.8 g
  • Protein: 2.2 g
  • Cholesterol: 11 mg
Recipe type: Drink
Frothy chocolate and coffee perfection - this healthy knock-off of the Starbucks mocha frappuccino has all the flavor, none of the guilt.
  • 2 cups strong brewed coffee, chilled
  • ¼ cup half and half (or almond milk)
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 14 drops chocolate stevia or sweetener of choice (ie honey, maple syrup, etc.)
  • pinch sea salt
  • ice
  • whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings - optional garnish
  1. Combine coffee, half and half, cocoa powder, vanilla, stevia and salt in a blender. Puree until smooth about 30-60 seconds.
  2. Add a scoop or two of ice and puree for additional 45-60 seconds on high.
  3. Pour into a glass and garnish with whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings.
For a thicker consistency, add more ice.

Stevia has no calories so if you swap with honey or another sweetener please note that the calorie total will increase a bit.

Comments

Funny, I don’t go for donuts either – not worth the calories in my opinion! I don’t order the fancy drinks at Starbucks anymore for the same reason (I used to be a sucker for pumpkin spice latte & I always have a dilemma with the artificial sugar free options). The calories in those drinks are a killer!! I can’t wait to try this, I’ve been wondering about those flavored stevia drops, I saw them at my health food store, will pick up chocolate next time! :)

I feel the same way!! I remember in college I would get caramel macchiatos all the time. Now that I’ve lost the weight I just can’t go there mentally. The stevia drops are a life saver!! You can buy them all on amazon (link in the recipe) if you don’t have a store near you that sells them. That’s usually what I do since I hate shopping with the little one – hahah.

this is awesome! I occasionally order the “light” mocha frap from starbucks, but I love the idea of making your own and knowing exactly what goes into it. so many calories, fat grams, and sugar grams saved — not to mention $$! Mmm can’t wait to try :)

I know – the light drinks are tempting but often that means they are made with even more chemicals/artificial sweeteners. I hope you enjoy this version!!

Liz, I love this. Every time I walk into a starbucks (which is rare, but still) I stand there at look longingly at the Frap board, then remind myself I’d rather have a milkshake…and that $6 the frap would set me back. So excited to see this recipe–my wallet (and my waistline) thank you!

4. Maegan @ The BakerMama says

You made my morning! I love Mocha Frappuccinos in the summer, but they are way too expensive and unhealthy to drink everyday. I can’t wait to try your healthy homemade version!

I absolutely love this, Liz! Such a great guilt-free treat. In high school and college I had no problem throwing back fraps on a regular basis. I probably haven’t had one in 10 years….it just feels like a lot of empty calories that I can’t justify. If I’m gonna splurge, pass me an ice cream cone :)

“Throwing back fraps” – I LOVE THAT PHRASE!! I work remotely from my Starbucks a lot and I always see skinny kids sucking them back like candy. Oh to be young. :)

mm mm mm When I was in college I drank Starbucks every single day and then I got a job there and probably drank it 2-3 times a day. I will admit that I LOVE Starbucks, but making them at home (and ones that are better for me) would be 100% better!

Oooo I love a good iced latte!!! I also love the passion fruit iced tea unsweetened…ok you have me craving Starbucks! :)

7. Angela Pelc says

Oh YUM! I have everything to make this, including a chocolate honey. Liz, you never cease to amaze me with your better versions of decadent recipes!

YUMMY! This is so similar to how I make my iced coffee in the summer. I do recommend using full cream, it makes it taste like ice cream! I suppose that adds calories but it’s low carb and sugar-free still! :)

9. Bonnie Esterow says

thanks ! This sounds yummy!!
    I have to confess that I go to Starbucks regularly. Im actually sitting in one right now !! My fav is Grande light coffee frappuccino w sugar free hazelnut (or vanilla or caramel syrup. Its under 200 cals and artificial sweetener be damned. lol! I love this, tastes great & lets me think im having a high calorie ice cream treat !!!
    It does get a bit pricey so will have to make your version for a lot less money !!!

10. marlene says

Have you tried this with fat-free half-and-half, Liz? That would make it even healthier–but would the texture and taste be the same?

Hi Marlene – I don’t buy fat-free products… often times they are loaded with artificial ingredients, sweeteners, chemicals, corn syrup, etc. I talk a bit more in depth about this in my Weight Loss Success Story post if you’re interested!

• Marlene says

Thanks for the prompt reply, Liz, and education! I will read my labels carefully before buying fat-free in the future! And 1/4 cup of half and half, for 2 servings, is not much fat. Besides, we all need a little fat in our diets.

11. Carolyn M says

Glad you made this over as I had a number of the ones at Starbucks and they are to die for! Literally…. too many of those in life and I would die from a fat attack!

12. Elizabeth says

This was delicious! I’ve been making an iced mocha version for a while, but I loved this blended version (the vanilla was a superb addition). I used whole milk instead of half and half and 1/2 tbsp of sugar. I think the key is using good cocoa powder – I use extra dark cocoa powder from Amazon. My only problem was that the drink kept separating (the drink and the ice) – any tips on having that not happen? Thanks for the recipe!

Oh I’m so glad you loved it!! The vanilla really is a great complement to the cocoa and I agree with you on high quality cocoa. If you’re looking for the drink to keep from separating, one tip is to add a pinch of xanthan gum. It’s a bit pricey so I rarely have it on hand but if you’re looking for the drink to keep from separating I’ve read it works well! I’ve also heard of people using powdered pectin – the stuff used when making jams or jellies. I hope that’s helpful!

Yes!! You will love this and you will also love not feeling guilty for spending $5 on a drink – lol. xoxo

Hi Patti – I would start out with one or two tablespoons then add more to taste. I don’t like my drinks overly sweet so it certainly varies to taste. :) Let me know what you think!!

13. Shannon Rogers says

Hi Liz!

This looks yummy!! I notice that on the recipe that the whipped cream and chocolate shavings are optional. Are the whipped cream and chocolate shavings included in the 72 calories, or should I add the calories for the whipped cream and chocolate shavings on top of the 72 calories? I’d love it if you would answer my question.

Thanks :)