Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast comes together in minutes and will permeate your house with the aromas of rosemary, garlic and red wine while it cooks.
March is going to be a busy travel month and, in fact, I have three business trips in the first two weeks alone. Fortunately, my boys get to join me on one and my youngest sister will be with me on another so I am looking forward to many exciting adventures.
Whenever I leave town, I like to stock the fridge with plenty of ready-to-eat meals that my husband or babysitter can quickly reheat. One of the not-so-secret reasons Rich doesn’t mind me leaving is because it gives him the opportunity to eat his favorite foods (read: pizza and burgers.)
To break up the fast food rotation, Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast is one of my favorite meals to prepare for them. Seasoned with fresh rosemary, lots of garlic and dry red wine, this pot roast is always a huge hit and usually lasts at least a couple days.
To lock in the juices, I quickly sear the roast with my Crock-Pot that has a super convenient stove-top-safe insert. The flavor of the finished dish intensifies over time which is one reason I love making when I travel. Serve with whipped sweet potatoes, garlic roasted yukon golds or a loaf of crusty Italian bread.
Your fork is waiting.
- 1 three-pound beef roast (chuck will produce the most tender result)
- 5 teaspoons kosher salt - divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves - peeled, left whole
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 celery stalks - quartered
- 2 carrots - peeled and quartered
- 32 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine (or additional beef broth)
- fresh parsley - to serve
- Take the beef roast out of the refrigerator and let come to room temperature by sitting on the counter 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle roast evenly with 3 teaspoons kosher salt and all of the pepper.
- Heat a Dutch oven or large pan over high heat (or insert of Slow Cooker with Stove Top Browning) then add olive oil.
- Sear beef roast on all sides, rotating every 3-4 minutes, so that it forms a golden brown crust on all sides. Remove from pan and place in slow cooker if you didn't use the stove-top-safe slow cooker insert.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the slow cooker: garlic, rosemary, celery, carrots, tomatoes, beef broth, wine and remaining 2 teaspoons of kosher salt.
- Heat on Low for 8 Hours.
- To serve, remove beef from slow cooker and let rest 10 minutes. Shred with fork is slice against the grain. Serve with vegetables on the side and fresh parsley.