The ultimate one-pot dinner recipe, this slow cooker Irish stew is filled with hearty vegetables, creamy potatoes, and tender beef.
Earlier this year my husband and I had our DNA tested and while I always knew I was Irish (8%), we were both surprised to learn that Rich is also Irish! I guess that explains the blue eyes in our four year old, eh?
To celebrate the fact that our kids are way more Irish than we thought, I’m sharing one of their favorite meals: Slow Cooker Irish Beef Stew. My husband loves Guinness so I added a bit to deepen the flavor but you can certainly leave it out.
What’s great about this one-pot dish is that the slow cooker does all of the work. After giving the beef a quick sear in a hot pan, you simply toss it into the slow cooker along with carrots, onions, potatoes, garlic and fresh thyme.
One reason I love cooking with Little Potato Company Creamer potatoes is because they come pre-washed and ready to use. You’re welcome to halve them but they’re small enough (and I’m lazy enough) to leave whole.
Right before serving, I like to add in a cup or two of frozen peas. My boys love them and they add great color to the dish.
If you have leftovers, pop them in the freezer for another day or enjoy them for lunch later on in the week. This dish tastes even better the next day and freezes extremely well.
Your fork is waiting.
Slow Cooker Irish Beef Stew
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast (cut in 2-inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon salt (divided)
- 2 teaspoons pepper (divided)
- 3 medium carrots (peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces)
- 1 large onion (cut in large chunks)
- 12 potatoes Little Potato Company Creamer potatoes (Blushing Belle or other variety )
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme (minced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 ounces Irish stout (such as Guinness) (optional)
- 2 cups green peas (fresh or frozen)
- Melt butter in deep skillet over medium high heat (or use slow cooker insert if it's stove-top safe). Sprinkle beef cubes with 2 teaspoons of the salt and 1 teaspoon of the pepper. Sear beef for about 2 minutes per side to form a crust; remove from pan and add into slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker toss in the carrots, onion and potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper as well as the thyme and garlic.
- In a small bowl, whisk together beef broth, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce then pour into the slow cooker along with the Irish stout if using.
- Heat on Low for 8 Hours of High for 4 Hours. 15 minutes before the stew is done cooking, stir in the peas. Serve warm.
Disclosure: I am honored to be a Brand Ambassador for The Little Potato Company. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
For more healthy and easy dinner recipes, check out my Pinterest board!