Perfect for busy weeknights, transport your taste buds around the world with this easy, healthy, and delicious Slow Cooker Arroz Con Pollo.
Slow cooker or Instant Pot dinners are my jam all year round, but I especially love using my slow cooker in the warmer months when it’s too hot to turn on the oven or stand by a hot stove for an hour. I love making this Slow Cooker Arroz Con Pollo as it covers all the basics for a meal at once. Balanced, filling, and delicious, this dish is easy to throw together early in the day and then leave it for later!
- Chicken breasts: I like to use split chicken breasts for this dish, as the bone and skin just add more flavor, but you could use boneless breasts or thighs as well.
- Kosher salt: The larger crystals of the kosher salt help to stick to the chicken and enhance its natural flavor.
- Onion: A white onion adds mild onion flavor that most people, even kids, will enjoy.
- Red pepper: Diced red pepper add a bit of sweetness, but you could use a green or yellow bell pepper as well.
- Rice: I used a short-grain white rice, but you could adapt this dish to use whatever rice you have.
- Tomato sauce: Slightly acidic and sweet, it adds to the sauce for the chicken and rice.
- Chicken broth: Makes the rice and dish more flavorful, as it’s the liquid the rice absorbs as it cooks.
- Lime juice: Adds a bright, acidic flavor that pairs well with the spices.
- Spices: Oregano, garlic powder, cumin, turmeric, and pepper all help to add a rich depth of traditional flavor to the dish.
- Bay leaf: While you don’t eat the bay leaf, it adds another layer of depth to the flavors of the dish.
- Peas: Doesn’t add much in flavor, but helps to make this dish balanced nutritionally.
- Green olives: Added after the dish has been cooked, they add a bright, tart flavor.
- Cilantro: Fresh cilantro added when you serve helps to brighten up the dish.
How to make Slow Cooker Arroz con Pollo
Start your slow cooker arroz con pollo by seasoning your chicken breasts with kosher salt and pepper.
Then brown your chicken on both sides on the stove. This step isn’t required, but does add extra flavor.
Once your chicken is seared, place them inside your slow cooker.
Then add the diced onion and red bell pepper.
Then add the tomato sauce over the top.
Next add your rinsed uncooked rice.
And the chicken stock.
Then add the fresh lime juice.
Next you’ll sprinkle in the spices. Add the dried oregano, garlic powder, and cumin.
Then add the turmeric, and if you have it, you could also add saffron and cayenne as well for a bit more of a kick.
Then add the bay leaf before giving everything a good stir. Place the lid on the slow cooker and then cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4.
Once finished cooking, stir in the peas until warmed through.
Remove the chicken and then add the green olives.
Then you can either cut your chicken into chunks or shred it and discard the bones.
Return the chicken to the rice and serve garnished with the fresh cilantro and a bit of fresh lime juice as you desire. Enjoy your slow cooker arroz con pollo!
Frequently Asked Questions:
What does arroz con pollo mean?
Arroz con pollo is just chicken with rice in Spanish.
What kind of rice do you use for arroz con pollo?
Typically a long or short grained white rice is used to make this dish.
Why is my arroz con pollo mushy?
If it turns out mushy, then it might be overcooked or you added too much liquid.
More Slow Cooker Meals
- Slow Cooker Healthy Turkey Chili
- Slow Cooked BBQ Pulled Chicken
- Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
- Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja
- Slow Cooker Turkey Meatballs
Eat It, Like It, Share it!
Did you try this recipe and like it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your dish.
Delicious the day you make it or the next day as leftovers, you and the whole family will enjoy my Slow Cooker Arroz Con Pollo.
Your fork is waiting
Slow Cooker Arroz Con Pollo
- 2 split chicken breasts ((bone-in skin-on))
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 1 cup long grain rice (uncooked)
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce (low sodium)
- 2 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (or lemon)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 saffron crushed threads (optional)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons sliced green olives (garnish)
- fresh parsley or cilantro (garnish)
- If your slow cooker has a stove-top safe insert, place it over medium high heat and add oil to the insert. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and sear on both sides until golden brown, 3-4 minutes a side. (Note: You can also do this in a stock pot.)
- Turn off heat and add the next 13 ingredients to the slow cooker (onion through cayenne). Stir well and heat on High for 3-4 hours or Low for 5-6 hours.
- Fluff rice with a fork and stir in peas 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with green olives and fresh parsley to serve.