Perfect for busy weeknights, transport your taste buds around the world with this easy, healthy and delicious Slow Cooker Arroz Con Pollo. This recipe is not only easy to make but is great for using up ingredients you likely already have on hand such as tomato sauce, rice, chicken and frozen peas.
Slow cooked dinners are my jam all year round but I especially love using my slow cooker in the summer months when it’s too hot to turn on the oven or stand by a hot stove for an hour.
We happened to have a package of split chicken breasts to use up but chicken thighs or boneless tenderloins would also work well. For a Spanish twist, the chicken and rice is flavored with traditional spices including turmeric, cumin and saffron. If you don’t have a few of the spices listed, just skip them. Frankly, it would be delicious with just salt and pepper.
To maximize the flavor of the chicken breasts, I gave them a quick sear using the insert of my stove-top safe slow cooker. You can always use a traditional stock pot or Dutch oven as well.
Whenever I serve a slow cooker dish, I like to add a couple fresh ingredients to brighten up the dish before it’s time to plate. Parsley and green olives are sprinkled on at the last minute to add a fresh flavor to the slow cooked meal. Another splash of lime juice wouldn’t hurt either.
Your fork is waiting
Slow Cooker Arroz Con Pollo
- 2 split chicken breasts (bone-in skin-on)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 1 cup long grain rice uncooked
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce low sodium
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 tablespoons lime juice or lemon
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 saffron crushed threads optional
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne optional
- 1 cup peas fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons sliced green olives garnish
- fresh parsley or cilantro garnish
- If your slow cooker has a stove-top safe insert, place it over medium high heat and add oil to the insert. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and sear on both sides until golden brown, 3-4 minutes a side. (Note: You can also do this in a stock pot.)
- Turn off heat and add the next 13 ingredients to the slow cooker (onion through cayenne). Stir well and heat on High for 3-4 hours or Low for 5-6 hours.
- Fluff rice with a fork and stir in peas 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with green olives and fresh parsley to serve.
My Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes board has some more great ideas. Pin away!