Fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside, these Blueberry Greek Yogurt Waffles are packed with protein and whole grains.
Summer berry season is upon us and my boys could not be more excited. Blueberries are not only the perfect finger food for toddler hands but they are naturally sweet and packed with vitamins.
While I love picking all of Michigan’s gorgeous produce, blueberries are probably one of my favorite fruits to pick because they are so easy to grab and collect! The photo above is two years old but it remains one of my all time favorites.
To help you make use of those ripe berries, I’m sharing our new favorite breakfast recipe: Blueberry Greek Yogurt Waffles. Made with whole wheat pastry flour, plain Greek yogurt and a pinch of cinnamon, they are the perfect vehicle for plump, juicy blueberries.
My husband likes them drizzled with pure maple syrup but the boys and I ate them on their own. When you’re using ripe, in-season berries you don’t need much added sweetness. Just don’t forget the cold milk.
Your fork is waiting.
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (0%)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups seltzer water (or milk)
- ½ cup blueberries - fresh or frozen
- pure maple syrup and additional blueberries - to serve
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour through salt.
- Using a wooden spoon, form a small whole in the middle of the dry ingredients. Whisk together eggs, yogurt and vanilla then stir to combine with the dry ingredients.
- Pour in seltzer water and gently whisk until evenly incorporated - lumps are ok!
- Fold in blueberries using a rubber spatula.
- Pour batter into pre-heated waffle maker and cook according to manufacturer's instructions until golden brown.
Want more seasonal eating inspiration? My beautiful and talented friend Becky is the queen of seasonal eating which is why I’m so thrilled to be participating in her monthly #EatSeasonal celebration. Don’t miss these other delicious ideas from your favorite food bloggers.
Blueberry Mint Gin Cocktail by Vintage Mixer
Bourbon-Cherry and Almond Dutch Baby by Floating Kitchen
Breakfast Strawberry Shortcakes by Completely Delicious
Strawberry and Mango Kale Salad by Project Domestication
Spinach Salad with Grilled Strawberries, Asparagus & Walnuts by Simple Bites
Rhubarb Crumb Bars by Bless This Mess
Chocolate Cherry Cake with Chocolate Oat Streusel by Climbing Grier Mountain
Mini Lavender Pavlovas with Summer Berries by Cafe Johnsonia
Super Summer Detox Salad by Well Plated
Blueberry, Feta and Honey-Caramelized Onion Naan Pizza by Kitchen Confidante
Cumin Orange Shrimp-Stuffed Cucumber Boats by Cookin’ Canuck