Light, fluffy and packed with warm spices – these pumpkin pancakes are 100% gluten free.
Between pregnancy cravings and busy mornings racing to feed a hungry toddler, 2013 might as well be dubbed “The Year of the Pancake”. In fact, now that I know how easy it is to make homemade frozen pancakes we almost always have a stash in the freezer ready to go for busy weekdays.
I love being able to control the quality of ingredients and incorporate shredded apples, mashed bananas or blueberries for sweetness and added nutrients. As you can see, Whole Wheat Maple Bacon Pancakes were a big hit with the little man. ;) Another bonus: no need to spend major bucks on a tiny box of 8 frozen pancakes that disappear in about 10 minutes.
If you follow a gluten free diet or find yourself needing to feed someone who does, I highly recommend stocking your pantry with a bag of gluten free all-purpose flour. You can literally use it in place of regular flour in just about any recipe.
Oh and see that Greek yogurt maple topping? Let me tell you – I almost ate the entire bowl before breakfast was even served. Not only does it add a rich and creamy maple flavor to the pancakes but it even ups the protein count so that you have lasting energy all morning long. Of course, bacon has protein too, so……
Your fork is waiting.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancakes
- In a large bowl, stir together liquid ingredients: pumpkin, yogurt, milk, eggs, vanilla and stevia; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk dry ingredients: gluten free flour, flax seed meal, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Carefully add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined – careful not to over-mix.
- Heat a non-stick griddle or frying pan over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Pour batter on to griddle, ¼ cup at a time, and brown on both sides.
- While pancakes are cooking, mix together Greek Yogurt Maple Topping in a small bowl and set aside until pancakes are ready to serve.
- When pancakes are cooked, serve with a dollop of Greek Yogurt Maple Topping and fresh fruit.