These mouth-watering Thai Beef Satay Skewers are tangy, slightly spicy and perfectly balanced with a cool and creamy peanut dipping sauce.
It’s week FOUR of the #HealthyNewYear Six-Week Challenge and our group is already close to 1,000 strong! In case you’re just joining in, Week 1 was all about protein-packed breakfasts, in Week 2 we challenged everyone to “go ethnic!” and in Week 3 we talked about cooking with different types of lean protein.
This week we are partnering with Sunkist the growers of my most beloved fruit of all time: lemons. Believe it or not, recent research revealed that Sunkist lemons can be used to reduce salt in recipes by up to 75%!
The secret formula? For every 2-4 servings, use 1/4 teaspoon salt + 1/2 teaspoon Sunkist lemon zest. To serve, finish the dish with 2 1/2 teaspoons fresh Sunkist lemon juice.
In the effort of Week 4’s challenge to reduce sodium in recipes using lemons, I have created these mouthwatering Thai Beef Satay Skewers with Creamy Peanut Dipping Sauce. The fragrant marinade made with bright lemon juice, fresh ginger and soy sauce is super versatile so I always recommend making a double batch to use later in the week on chicken, pork, fish or vegetables.
Are you ready to commit to a healthier lifestyle in just 6 weeks? Join the close to 1,000 people who have committed to healthier living over on our Healthy New Year 6-Week Challenge Facebook page today! And don’t forget to tag myself (@TheLemonBowl) and Dara (@CookinCanuck) on social media along with #HealthyNewYear so we can cheer you along! Spoiler Alert: There will be prizes!
In the meantime, grab a couple lemons and whisk up this quick and easy Thai Beef Satay marinade and creamy peanut dipping sauce. You are going to love the smoky, slightly-charred flavor and bright freshness of the lemons and ginger. Cool it all off in the creamy peanut dipping sauce and your taste buds are going to be begging you for more.
No forks required.
- 1 pound skirt steak - cut in 1 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger - grated
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic - grated
- 1 tablespoon chili paste (such as Gourmet Garden)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- wooden skewers - soaked in water
- scallions - optional garnish
- 4 tablespoons creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili paste - more or less to taste
- warm water
- In a medium glass bowl, whisk together beef marinade: lemon juice, ginger, soy sauce, fish sauce, garlic and chili paste. Add beef strips to the bowl and toss well to coat. Let sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes or marinate in the refrigerator for up to overnight.
- Prepare peanut dipping sauce by whisking together all ingredients in a small bowl. Slowly add in warm tap water, about a tablespoon at a time, until you reach desired consistency. Reserve for later.
- To cook beef skewers, carefully thread each strip on soaked skewers. Grill over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Let been skewers rest for 10 minutes before serving with reserved peanut dipping sauce.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
Disclosure: We are honored to have Sunkist as a sponsor of this week’s #HealthyNewYear challenge. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
Head over to my Pinterest page for more healthy Asian Food!
Follow The Lemon Bowl | Liz Della Croce’s board Asian Food on Pinterest.