Passed down to share from my Bubbe, Ema Ljuba, this famous Beef Brisket recipe gets it’s the extra flavor from Onion Soup Mix and is sure to please any crowd!
Growing up in a blended Jewish and Christian family, I have had the pleasure of celebrating a wide variety of holidays from Christmas to Passover and everything in between. Today I am thrilled to share my Grandmother (Ema) Ljuba’s famous Beef Brisket recipe.
Do certain smells take you back in time to special moments in your life? From the minute I mixed the first ingredients, I was immediately transported back into my Ema’s kitchen in Berkeley, California.
The mouth-watering aroma that spills through the home while roasting this brisket should be bottled and sold. In fact, it spread as quickly as the love, warmth and joy exudes from my Grandmother whenever you are around her.
Although we are miles apart, tonight she was right next to me in my kitchen.
Your fork is waiting.
Frequently asked questions:
No. It actually does the opposite– it makes the dish sweet.
Beef Brisket with Onion Soup Mix
- 7-8 lb beef brisket
- 2 bottles chili sauce
- 2 envelopes onion soup mix
- 2 cans beer
- 12 carrots peeled and cut chunks
- 12 medium Yukon potatoes cut chunks
- 2 sliced onions
- 32 oz whole peeled tomatoes optional
- 1 cup red wine optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Use a large roasting pan, ideally with a lid.
- Stir together chili sauce, onion soup mix and beer in the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Place brisket on top of the mixture along with the carrots.
- Cover with lid and roast 2 – 2 1/4 hours.
- Cool meat in pan (covered) until you can put the entire pan in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning remove the thick layer of congealed fat that has solidified on the surface of the meat. (The fat gives the gravy and meat wonderful flavor in the roasting process but then most of it is no longer needed!)
- Slice the cold brisket – against the grain – and place back in the gravy.
- At this point it can be put back into the fridge until you are ready to finish the roasting with the potatoes.
- When ready to roast add chunks of potatoes and the onions to the pot.
- If using tomatoes, add now as well as cup of red wine.
- Cover the pan and roast for another hour to an hour and a half.
Take a look at my Pinterest board for more great recipes!