An easy appetizer recipe for holiday entertaining, brie is topped with caramelized onions and pepper jelly before baked until warm and creamy. Serve with rosemary wonton crisps or crackers of choice.
Something that might surprise you is that I don’t meal plan or print out recipes as regularly as you might think. The truth is, I really love finding ways to be creative in the kitchen using whatever ingredients I have on hand or are in season at the moment.
When my friends at Milk Means More proposed a “Meal Kit Challenge” recently, I was immediately on board! A huge fan of the Food Network and the show Chopped, I was eager and excited for the challenge.
My kit included five ingredients that I was required to use in my recipe including an onion, rosemary, pepper jelly, brie cheese, and wonton wrappers. Game on!
Since I knew right away I wanted to make baked brie, I decided to turn the wonton wrappers into crispy crackers seasoned with olive oil, rosemary, salt, and pepper. They took 3 minutes to make and cook up in about 7-9 minutes. Easy enough, right? (PS: You can do this with tortillas, pita bread and more.)
While the crackers were baking, I slowly caramelized the onion until it turned golden brown and slightly sweet. I knew the sweetness of the onions would pair well with the creamy brie cheese and mildly spicy pepper jelly.
The end result? A crowd-pleasing appetizer that I literally couldn’t stop eating. Great for entertaining, date night at home or hosting a girl’s night, I can’t recommend this baked brie appetizer recipe enough!
No forks required.
Baked Brie Appetizer with Caramelized Onions
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 16 wonton wrappers diagonally sliced
- 2 tablespoons rosemary minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces brie cheese
- 1/4 cup pepper jelly (mild or hot)
- Heat half of the olive oil (2 tablespoons) over medium high heat in a deep skillet and add onion slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and saute until golden brown and caramelized, about 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Using a pastry brush, gently brush both sides of the wonton wrappers with olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary and salt and pepper to taste. Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 7-9 minutes.
- Place brie in the center of a baking dish and top with caramelized onions and pepper jelly. Bake in 350 degree onion until warm and starting to melt, about 15-20 minutes. Serve with wonton crisps.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?I would not recommend as the Brie will get hard
What wine pairing would you recommend with this?I would suggest Sauvignon Blanc