Baked Pita Chips with Za’atar are ideal for dipping in hummus or sprinkling over a salad. Easy to make and so much tastier than store-bought, your friends and family will love these healthy baked chips.
Hummus runs through my veins. It was the first Middle Eastern recipe I learned from my Great Aunt Vieve when I was a little girl and continues to remind me of her to this day.
Baked Pita Chips with Za’atar are so easy to make and come together in less than 30 minutes. Za’atar is a smoky, earthy Middle Eastern spice blend made with dried thyme, sumac, sesame seeds and more. It’s delicious as a rub for grilled pork, as a vinaigrette for salads or even the star ingredient for chicken tacos.
May 15th is National Hummus Day but truth be told, we celebrate every day in our house. In fact, my 2 year old could eat an entire tub of hummus any day of the week. While my son would gladly eat hummus with a giant serving spoon, I’m more of a dipper.
Of course, these baked pita chips are a method more than a specific recipe. Feel free to swap out za’atar with any of your favorite spices such as smoked paprika, cumin or garlic powder. You could even go the sweet route and try cinnamon and sugar.
What is your favorite hummus dipper? I would love to hear from you.
No forks required.
Baked Pita Chips with Za'atar
- 4 pieces large pita bread (white or whole wheat)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons za'atar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper or cayenne for heat
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with foil. Spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Using a pair of kitchen scissors, cut the pita bread in half and then in half again. Continue doing this until you have chip-sized pieces (small triangles).
- Place the pita triangles in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil then sprinkle with za'atar, salt and pepper.
- Toss well until pita is evenly coated with oil and spices. This is a great time to use your hands - your best tools in the kitchen!
- Spread pita in an even layer amongst both baking sheets and bake until golden brown and crispy, about 10-12 minutes.
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.