This 30-minute seafood dinner recipe is made with white fish topped with a garlicky, parmesan panko topping then broiled until light, flaky and crispy.
What’s crazy about this is that making seafood at home couldn’t be easier or FASTER! In fact, most seafood cooks in 10-20 minutes, max.
This panko-crusted white fish recipe was inspired by a recent visit to Northern Michigan where lake whitefish is readily available.
For this particular recipe, any white fish works. However, I used wild caught cod, because it’s my husband’s favorite and happened to be on sale. Yet, if fresh fish isn’t easily accessible to you, feel free to use a frozen variety.
The secret to this delicious fish recipe is a panko crust made with butter, lemon zest, garlic, and parmesan. For a little kick of heat, I highly recommend adding a pinch of cayenne.
The butter keeps the lean fish moist while baking and adds incredible flavor which pairs perfectly with the bright lemon zest, garlic, and parmesan.
Frequently asked questions:
Lake whitefish is a cool, fresh water fish that is a member of the trout/salmon family. It is found commonly in the great lakes and small inland lakes throughout Michigan. Alternatively, whitefish, or white fish, is a fishery’s term for several species of demersal fish with fins. The term is used particularly in reference to Atlantic cod, whiting, haddock, hake, pollock, and others. In addition, whitefish is also the name of several species of Atlantic freshwater fish.
No, I wouldn’t recommend it. However, if you do wish to enjoy it later in the week I suggest reheating it in the oven.
Absolutely! Fresh or frozen fish both work well. However, if you use a frozen variety be sure to defrost it before cooking. Otherwise, the panko coating will burn!
For a bit of freshness, I love sprinkling it with lemon juice and minced herbs such as parsley right before serving.
Your fork is waiting.
Parmesan Crusted White Fish
- 20 ounces firm white fish such as cod, haddock or tilapia
- ⅔ cup panko
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan
- 2 tablespoons butter softened at room temperature
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees and line baking sheet with foil. Spray with cooking spray and place fish fillets on top.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to mix together all remaining ingredients except the lemon juice (panko through cayenne.) Gently press mixture on top of the fish filets then bake until fish flakes easily with a fork, about 20 minutes. Drizzle fish with lemon juice before serving.
Want more healthy recipes? Head over to Pinterest!