This Kale Banana Berry Smoothie makes a delicious not-so-green smoothie to jump start your day in a healthy way.
Green smoothies are all the rage these days, and for good reason! Smoothies are a wonderful way for you to get your daily fruit and veggie intake. Especially if you aren’t a fan of vegetables, “hiding” the flavor of greens in smoothies will help you up your game. If you wish to start the day off on the right foot, I encourage you to try this delicious Kale Banana Berry Smoothie.
- Banana: Creamy, high in potassium and other vitamins, with natural sweetness, bananas are a great way to sweeten smoothies without adding sugar.
- Blueberries: Depending in ripeness, they can taste sweet and tart, and are a fantastic source of antioxidants and other vitamins.
- Kale: A nutrition superstar, full of vitamins and nutrients like calcium, potassium, and vitamin C. Mixing it into this smoothie hides the sometimes bitter flavor that it can have.
- Yogurt: I use 100% full fat, Greek yogurt for added protein and to make the smoothie more filling.
- Cinnamon: Warm, sweet and spicy flavor that pairs well with the banana and ginger.
- Nutmeg: Nutty, warm, and slightly sweet, it makes the smoothie more flavorful.
- Ginger: Not only an added source of vitamins, but also a great flavor enhancer.
How To Make a Kale Banana Berry Smoothie
Start by chopping your kale and slicing your ginger into thin slices.
Then peel and add the banana to your blender.
Next add your full-fat, plain, Greek yogurt.
Followed by your blueberries.
Then sprinkle with some cinnamon.
I love freshly grated nutmeg, but you can use regular, jarred spices as well. I recommend trying fresh nutmeg though.
Finish with the chopped kale and a couple handfuls of ice.
Then blend away until smooth! Add more ice until you get the consistency you’d like.
Pour evenly into glasses and enjoy your delicious Kale Berry Banana Smoothie.
Switch Things Up
- Make it vegan. Omit the yogurt, or use almond milk or coconut milk instead.
- Change up the fruit. Use raspberries or blackberries instead of blueberries. Not a banana fan? Use applesauce instead to naturally sweeten the smoothie.
- Change up the leafy greens. Try it with spinach or chard instead of kale. You can add avocado, cucumber, or any number of greens!
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I make this smoothie more filling?
There are lots of simple additives you can use to increase the fiber and protein. Add protein powder, flaxseed meal, chia seeds, or a combination of them!
Are kale smoothies good for weight loss?
Smoothies in general tend to be high in vitamins and nutrients while low in calories, so starting your day with any smoothie will help you lose weight.
How do I store leftover smoothies?
You can keep it in the fridge for 2 days in an airtight container, or freeze it and thaw it later!
More Smoothie Recipes
- Blueberry Cinnamon Smoothie
- Pineapple Mango Green Smoothie
- Chocolate Oatmeal Smoothie
- Vegan Strawberry Protein Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Mango Chia Seed Smoothie
Did you try this smoothie recipe? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials. Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your drink.
I encourage you to experiment with this Kale Banana Berry Smoothie. Add in protein powder, change up the berries, toss in avocado, alternate the leafy greens or even throw in some flax seed. The options are endless and I promise no one will notice or wonder if you added kale to their smoothie ;)
Your straw is waiting.
Kale Banana Berry Smoothie
- Place everything but the ice in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Add ice and blend again for 1 minute or until smooth.
Liz, u know what a big fan i am, so tried this smoothie today, using spring grrens as cant eat kale, 1/2 C yogurt, 1/2c almond milk, frozen nana, 1c fresh berries, and all the spices as listeded but it wasnt at all sweet, so added some stevia, more milk, and its my snack!!
my son made challah during my visit 2 HI, perhaps when i’m in my new housing/must sell my beloved home of 37 yrs, the kitchen will have more room 4 kneading, nd i’l have had the tear in my rotator cuff repaired so might be able to bake myself?? best, :): kelli
Both my two year old I really enjoyed this smoothie today! Wish I could share a picture I took of him drinking it! He had it running down his chin while saying, “it’s yummy”. Hehe
Oh I’m so happy!! My boys drink smoothies every morning and just love them!