This Banana Berry Kale Smoothie makes a delicious not-so-green smoothie to jump start your day in a healthy way.
Green smoothies are all the rage in the healthy eating community, and for good reason! Smoothies are a wonderful way for you to get your daily fruit and veggie intake. Especially if you aren’t a fan of vegetables, “hiding” the flavor of greens in smoothies will help you up your game. If you wish to start the day off on the right foot, I encourage you to try this delicious Banana Berry Kale Smoothie. Not only is it delicious, but it’s easy to customize with what you have on hand!
- Banana: Creamy, high in potassium and other vitamins, with natural sweetness, bananas are a great way to sweeten smoothies without adding extra sugar.
- Blueberries: Depending on ripeness, they can taste sweet or tart, and are a fantastic source of antioxidants and other vitamins.
- Kale: A nutrition superstar, full of vitamins and nutrients like calcium, potassium, and vitamin C. Mixing it into this smoothie hides the sometimes bitter flavor that it can have.
- Yogurt: I use 100% full fat, Greek yogurt for added protein and to make the smoothie more filling.
- Cinnamon: Warm, sweet and spicy flavor that pairs well with the banana and ginger.
- Nutmeg: Nutty, warm, and slightly sweet, it makes the smoothie more flavorful.
- Ginger: Not only an added source of vitamins, but also a great flavor enhancer.
How To Make a Banana Berry Kale Smoothie
Start our banana berry kale smoothie by chopping your kale and slicing your ginger into thin slices.
Then peel and add the banana to your blender. If you don’t want to use as much ice, try using a frozen banana.
Next add your full-fat, plain, Greek yogurt.
Followed by your blueberries and fresh ginger. Same recommendation here, and using frozen blueberries will allow you to use less ice.
Then sprinkle with some cinnamon.
I love freshly grated nutmeg, but you can use regular, jarred spices as well. I recommend trying fresh nutmeg though.
Finish with the chopped kale and a couple handfuls of ice.
Then blend away until smooth! Add more ice or water until you get the consistency you’d like.
Pour evenly into glasses and enjoy your delicious Berry Banana Kale Smoothie.
Switch Things Up
- Make it vegan. Omit the yogurt, or use almond milk or oat milk instead.
- Change up the fruit. Use raspberries, strawberries, or blackberries instead of blueberries. Not a banana fan? Use applesauce instead to naturally sweeten the smoothie.
- Change up the leafy greens. Try it with spinach or chard instead of kale. You can add avocado, cucumber, or any number of greens!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I make this smoothie more filling?
There are lots of simple additives you can use to increase the fiber and protein. Add protein powder, flaxseed meal, chia seeds, or a combination of them!
Are kale smoothies good for weight loss?
Smoothies in general tend to be high in vitamins and nutrients while low in calories, so starting your day with any smoothie will help you lose weight.
How do I store leftover smoothies?
You can keep it in the fridge for 2 days in an airtight container, or freeze it and thaw it later!
More Smoothie Recipes
- Blueberry Cinnamon Smoothie
- Pineapple Mango Green Smoothie
- Chocolate Oatmeal Smoothie
- Vegan Strawberry Protein Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Mango Chia Seed Smoothie
Like It, Drink It, Share It!
Did you try this smoothie recipe? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials. Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your drink.
I encourage you to experiment with this Banana Berry Kale Smoothie. Add in protein powder, change up the berries, toss in avocado, alternate the leafy greens or even throw in some flax seed. The options are endless and I promise no one will notice or wonder if you added kale to their smoothie.
Your straw is waiting.
Banana Berry Kale Smoothie
- Place everything but the ice in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Add ice and blend again for 1 minute or until smooth.